"I'll protect you...Hiroto...I meant it." She had to. He needed someone. He needed her. Now, everything made sense. Why he acted the way he did. Why he defended her so ruthlessly from Uota. Why he made sure she was safe. Why he kept his emotions repressed from the general population. Why he had drank himself almost dead.

He said she reminded him of his grandmother. That explained why he had attached himself to her so quickly after they first met. And she... she had a story too. One now that would explain why she had latched onto him too. One now that she felt ready to share. He had bared his soul and spirit to her, his mind and the very essence of who he was. Such a raw, beautiful and broken person. It was only right for him to see her soul too. She lifted her face from his chest and looked up at him. Oh Roto... Her poor Roto. She thanked God right then and there. Because she knew He had brought them together for a reason.

"Roto..." She moved closer to his face, her hands now on his shoulders. She said she wouldn't do this again. But... But she really wanted to. She needed him to know she was real and not going anywhere. She felt she could when he was sleep like this, so deeply. Otherwise the confidence would rush out and she would feel like a chicken. She pressed her nose against the nape of his neck. Just one kiss. One last one. She promised herself and God after this, she wouldn't do it again. Gently moving his hair back and out of his eyes, she bit her lip and paused. Looking at him so close up, she could see he had some small beauty marks on his neck and smiled. Indeed he was very beautiful. Had anyone ever kissed them? Stop stalling. Either do it or not. He gon wake up soon. She licked her lips a little and took a deep breath.

Slowly, she pressed her lips on his, a soft touch. For a little bit, she didn't move, just feeling how soft and full they were. Closing her eyes, she pressed a little more until their lips molded to each others in a close mouthed kiss. She stiffened as she felt his fingertips lightly glide up her back and opened her eyes to find his closed still. Was he actually still sleep or... or did he know she was kissing him? He moved closer and a sound almost like a groan came from his mouth, vibrating against her lips. She didn't know the kiss had gotten deeper until she felt his the tip of his tongue gently glide against her bottom lip. OH DAMN.

She pulled back, taking her bottom lip into her mouth, her face entirely red. A dull ache instantly throbbed between her legs. How... how did she let it get that far? He'd never licked her. Taking a shuddery breath, she pressed her face into his bicep. His fingers had grown slack again against her shoulder blades and she heard him sigh above her before his arm slid away from her and he turned around to the other side of the pillow. That was one of the most steamy kisses she'd ever experienced and something told her that that was nothing but a warm up to him. Oooh if her mama saw her now, it would be a wrap. Even though it was nothing like that, to the outside eye it... it would appear as if... Let them wallow in their ignorance. Hiroto's words from the beginning came back suddenly.

Her eyes found him and the broad smooth expanse of his back beckoned her fingers but she didn't. She had touched homie enough for one morning. She got up slowly and ran her fingers through her hair, smoothing it down some. She went to stand by the open shoji and felt the cool morning air greet her. Smiling, she sighed.

***

He felt empty blanket when he reached back. Gripping the blanket, he tightened his jaw as he slowly opened his eyes. He sighed and let go. She must have left a little while ago perhaps while he was still sleeping. He hadn't slept so deep or so soundly since he was a little boy. He felt safe and warm with Rae. She made him feel like he could. And he did. Normally, his mind was riddled with nightmares of the past but as she slept in his arms, his mind for once was quiet. No nightmares. No unwanted memories. No tears staining his pillow. He lifted his fingers to his lips which felt like they had been kissed. They tingled and were bruised. She couldn't have. She wouldn't have. He smiled softly to himself. But, if she did... how bold she was. He couldn't imagine Rae kissing him while he slept. That was too bold even for her. No, his lips felt this way because once again, his mind had been filled with memories he wanted to make... with her. Long sweet kisses underneath the pink glow of the Hanami lamp.