11: RECKONING

The distant hum of rush hour traffic filters through the partially open window, awakening to the bustling city beyond these walls. Despite the urban cacophony, the usual haunting whispers of my nightmares are mercifully absent. For the first time in what feels like an eternity, I wake to a peaceful morning. No haunting visions of past horrors, no suffocating grip of fear–just the silence and flow of unconsciousness, like a calm sea beneath a starlit sky. It's a rare reprieve, one that fills me with tentative hope as I emerge from the depths of sleep.

Taking a deep breath, I stretched languidly beneath the covers, relishing in the comforting warmth of the blanket that envelops me like a protective shield. Each movement is deliberate, a conscious effort to savor the simple bliss of waking without the weight of nightmares pressing down on me. As I shift beneath the sheets, the fabric rustles softly against my skin, causing a soothing sound that fills the room with tranquility.

With a contented sigh, I let my gaze wander around the room, taking in the familiar surroundings of Bucky's quaint room bathed in the soft morning light. Everything seems to hold a quiet serenity, from the way the light dances across the walls to the gentle sway of the curtains in the breeze. It's a moment of pure calmness, a rare respite from the chaos that often occurs within and without.

With renewed energy, I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and sit up, brushing back my flyaways with my fingers. It's a small gesture, but one that serves as a reminder that I am here, in this moment, alive and awake. How rare and beautiful it is to even exist. Pushing myself to my feet, I pad across the room on my bare feet, relishing in the cool touch of the hardwood floors beneath me. The sounds of the city grow louder as I approach the window, the rush of traffic mingling with the chirping of birds. It's a symphony of life moving forward, reminding me that the world continues to turn, regardless of the trials and tribulations that I may face.

Pushing back the curtain, I admire the street below, watching people make their way through their own lives. The sight fills me with a quiet sense of gratitude from this moment of respite. For a second, it's as though I've woken in a different life, one that breaks me away from the chains that once bound me, free to embrace the beauty of the present and promise of a future. However, there is no escaping the truth. I know that I may be walking around this planet with a target on my back, but luckily for me, I know how to handle those kinds of situations.

Leaving the window behind, I follow the enticing aroma of bacon and coffee wafting through the air, drawing me out of the room and into the cozy embrace of the kitchen. As I push open the slightly ajar bedroom door, I find Bucky moving about with practiced ease, the rhythmic clatter of pans and sizzling bacon filling the room with a comforting echo of sounds.

Leaning against the door frame, I watch him with a soft smile, admiring the way he effortlessly navigates the space. The morning light casts a warm glow over him, accentuating the lines of his figure. He looks almost heavenly. A soft laugh escapes me as he turns, catching me in the act of admiring him. His eyes twinkle in amusement as he raises an eyebrow, a playful smirk tugging at the corners of his lips.

"Enjoying the view?" he quips, his tone light and teasing as he gestures to the sizzling pan in front of him.

I chuckle, feeling the warmth of a blush creeping onto my cheeks. "Just taking in the sight," I reply, unable to take my gaze away from him.

As he turns backs to finish up his cooking, a contented smile on his lips, I can't help but feel grateful for this moment of simple joy, for the chance to bask in the warmth of his presence. Truly the only sense of normalcy I find is always with him. We've spent a lifetime by each other's side, but this is different. This feels more natural than what came before. And I'm content with that.