Chapter 17 - 20th of November

Comenzar desde el principio

"Why are there so many?" asked Cam.

"Because we all care about you," continued Leah as she walked past the younger girl in the suncast living room, taking a seat on the couch.

Cameryn jumped off the kitchen stool and ran over to Leah jumping into her arms, "Are you warming up to the idea of birthdays?" Leah asked as she held the younger girl to her chest.

"Yes, very much so. Okay, whose do you want to open first?"

"April's."

Leah handed Cam April's gift which she opened carefully. There was a new book and two new hoodies. She set the book to the side and pulled out each hoodie, the first was a plain black Nike hoodie she had been wanting for a while, but the second was personalised. It was a deep blue and in the corner was L. May embroidered in white thread. It was small enough to not be the main feature but still stood out to those who knew.

"It's perfect," Cameryn said as she folded it back up and set it to the side.

"You don't want to put it on?" asked Leah.

"Nah, I've got yours on," replied Cameryn prompting Leah to blush just slightly, "I'll open Mum and Wyatt's next, please," resumed Cam.

The box was passed across and the tape was ripped open. There was a nice blanket, perfume and some nice hand creams inside, a slight clique gift but perfect for moving to a new place like Cam had just done.

"Okay, which one next?" asked Leah.

"Jay's."

"Why not mine?" replied Leah sounding offended.

"Best for last," Cameryn spoke with a smirk and winked.

"Okay then," Leah continued passing the other box across.

Jayden's box was much smaller and well-taped making it quite hard to open, but eventually, the pair got into it. Amongst the tissue paper was a small felt jewellery box. Cam flicked open the lid to reveal a silver bar bracelet, and on the back was engraved 29.10.13 ~ Luke May. Cameryn flinched as she read the date on the bracelet, Leah immediately wrapped an arm around the girl's lower back resting her hand on the brunette's hip.

Cameryn tilted her head to rest on Leah's shoulder as a single tear shed her eye, "he knew I'd been looking to get something like this for a while," Cameryn spoke as she wiped a tear from her cheek. She smiled as Leah helped her slide the bracelet onto her wrist.

"It's perfect," said Leah as she planted a kiss on the side of Cameryn's head.

"Do you want to open mine now, or do you want to take a break?" Leah asked.

"Umm-," tried Cameryn before she was cut off.

"We'll take a break, that was a pretty big gift so I don't want you to be too emotional with mine." Leah threw herself back on the sofa relaxing into the cushions, and opening her arms for the younger girl to cuddle with her. Cameryn considered walking out for a second before giving in to Leah's presence. She crawled across the couch resting her head on Leah's chest and gripping at the edge of the blonde's shirt.

Cam shut her eyes and began to relax into Leah's touch, but the security and comfort Leah provided her soon became too much and tears started flowing. She gripped at Leah's shirt hoping it would soothe her like normal, but it didn't work. Cam's mind was racing through fields of guilt and open plains of regret, she'd never celebrated her birthday properly with presents and the like because she felt like she was moving on from her dad.

Today's morning had been good in the moment but now she was regretting the choice to celebrate. It didn't feel right that he wasn't by her side wishing her a happy birthday, giving her a hug and handing her a present. She missed her father's presence even though he hadn't been around for 10 years, she still could vividly remember the company he held.