On the other side of the door, Elena and John stood patiently. Elena was trying her best not to pick away the black nail polish she'd meticulously applied earlier, wanting to maintain the appearance she'd worked hard on crafting for the evening. She rarely dressed up to go anywhere; a small bit of mascara and a nice shirt was usually the perfect ensemble for a drink or two. However, tonight inspired a nagging need to make a little more of an effort.

Flares were making a bold entry in the world of fashion, and Elena eagerly embraced the trend, revelling in the opportunity to showcase her latest wardrobe addition. Tonight, she had chosen a striking pair of orange velvet flares, their fabric hugging her curves before cascading into a classic flare silhouette past the knee. The vibrant hue added a pop of colour to her ensemble, a welcome departure from the subdued tones of her usual attire.

Selecting a shirt was a breeze for Elena, as she boasted a diverse collection of button-ups in her wardrobe. She had settled on a brown and white short-sleeved button-up adorned with an intricate swirling pattern. Tying the hem at her waist, she effortlessly accentuated the beauty of her trousers while infusing her look with a touch of casual elegance.

Her chocolate eyes sparkled with the smoky allure of meticulously applied eyeshadow, their depth accentuated by subtle artistry. Framing her face, her deep brunette hair had been carefully styled with rags into gentle waves that laid comfortably over her shoulders and down to her chest. To complete her ensemble, she'd slipped into a brown corduroy jacket and matching boots boasting a chunky heel.

"You are such a girl."

"Shut up, I need to make sure the 'tache is perfect."

"Why? Who are you tryna impress?"

"Myself."

"I'm sure you've got a fucking vagina..." Elena mumbled, watching John as he leaned into the door, fixing his moustache in the reflection of the frosted glass panels.

Just then, the door swung open, leaving John face-to-face with Robert, who pulled his head back in a jarring motion when he realised how close he was.

"Bloody hell, I know it's me birthday, an' all, but I don't need ya to kiss me."

"I was fixing me bloody moustache!" John groaned, shoving his hands into his pockets.

Elena laughed, bringing her hand to her mouth and leaning forward a little. Robert grinned, pushing the door open further to allow the pair in, fixing his gaze on the little brunette and her bright giggling.

"Hi," he said softly down at her as she passed him, placing a hand on her arm as he leaned down to press a kiss to her cheek. She responded likewise, planting her own gentle peck on his bearded cheek, or at least as close to his cheek as she could reach.

"Happy birthday," she stepped back to allow him to close the door behind him. As he thanked her, she dug into her pocket and glanced down the hallway to check John had moved into the living room, greeting some of the people he knew.

"What do you want to drink?" Robert asked, seemingly making his own way into the other room. But Elena's hand shot to his wrist, gently stopping him. "You alright?"

"Yeah," she looked down at her pocket, scolding her packet of cigarettes that had gotten in the way of what she was trying to retrieve. "Guess who got you something?"

"Oh, God..." he almost whined, crossing his arms, but still smiling giddily. He watched as Elena pulled out a small green box, not much bigger than the pack of Marlboros she yielded.

"I, uh... Sorry it's not wrapped or anything..." She handed him the box. "I would've done that, only it took the stupid shop ages to actually get what I asked for... They only got it in today."