♠️4♠️

Song: moonlight by -
Chase Atlantic

River POV

The next day crept in with a heavy burden weighing on my shoulders, the memory of yesterday's confrontation with Hunter still fresh in my mind. Despite my attempts to push it aside, his cold gaze haunted me as I prepared for classes.

With a deep breath, I tried to shake off the lingering unease and headed to gym class early, seeking solace in the familiar routine of physical exertion. The rhythmic pounding of my fists against the punching bag echoed through the empty gym, each strike a release of pent-up frustration.

But as I let the adrenaline course through my veins, a sudden flashback of Hunter's intense gaze at the lockers pierced through my concentration. The memory of his hand gripping my arm, the tension crackling between us, sent a chill down my spine.

I shook my head, trying to banish the intrusive thoughts. I couldn't afford to dwell on him, not when there were more pressing matters at hand.

Just as I was about to resume my workout, a voice pierced the silence of the gym. "Hey, you're the girl who kicked Emily's ass yesterday, right?"

I turned to see a group of girls gathered at the edge of the gym, their eyes fixed on me with a mix of awe and curiosity.

"Yeah, that's me," I replied, my voice was cool and collected.

The girls exchanged excited whispers amongst themselves before one stepped forward. "I'm Charlotte," she said, extending her hand. "This is Heidi and Maeve."

I shook Charlotte's hand reluctantly, my guard still firmly in place. "River," I replied, eyeing them warily.

Charlotte's eyes sparkled with excitement. "We couldn't believe it when we heard what happened yesterday," she said, her voice tinged with admiration. "You're a total badass."

I shrugged, uncomfortable with the attention. "I just did what needed to be done."

Heidi stepped forward, her expression serious. "Listen, we know you're not big on making friends," she said, her tone earnest. "But if you ever need someone to watch your back, we've got you covered."

I studied them for a moment, the sincerity in their eyes catching me off guard. It had been a long time since anyone had offered me genuine support.

"Thanks," I said, my voice softer than before. "I'll keep that in mind."

Maeve grinned, her eyes shining with excitement. "Hey, we're having a race tonight," she said, changing the subject. "You should come."

I hesitated, the idea of spending time with a group of people foreign to me. But then I remembered the sense of camaraderie I had felt with them, the feeling of belonging that had eluded me for so long.

"Sure," I said, a small smile playing on my lips. "I'll be there."

As I was busy trying to listen to the teacher talking. This dude who I met like 5 fucking seconds away who's name is Jordan won't leave me alone.

Jordan's persistent attempts at flirting grated on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard. I tried to tune out his incessant chatter, focusing instead on the lessons ahead. But Jordan was like a persistent mosquito, buzzing around me relentlessly.

"Hey there, beautiful," Jordan cooed, leaning in close with a smug grin.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, ignoring his advances as best as I could. But when he persisted, I knew I had to shut him down once and for all.