Chapter 2

Ever since the library incident, Hermione had been lost in thought about her interaction with Malfoy.

It was so different from most of her experiences with the blonde. Normally he would throw a multitude of insults her way.

Whether it was about her hair, her teeth or her blood purity. He never seemed to run out of ammunition.

This time however, he seemed to be lacking. Perhaps he just didn't have the energy anymore or maybe he'd grown bored of the overused insults on her.

She wasn't sure but as she stared a hole into the back of his head during potions she found herself wondering what changed. Had she changed? Or was it him? Maybe it was the both of them.

Completely lost in her own thoughts. She barely noticed Harry trying to get her attention until she felt his shoulder nudge her own.

With a curious look and a quirk of his brow he asked. "You alright?"

She shook her head to rid the thoughts of Malfoy and his inconsistency to slap a sincere smile on her face.

"Of course Harry, just lost in thought about an assignment. That's all."

Harry nodded his head curiously turning back to the bubbling cauldron between them. Hermione probably should have been paying more attention as she didn't think it was meant to be that color.

She peered inside to get a better look when the bubbles started increasing. "Harry, what did you do?!" Hermione looked at him with a shocked expression on her face.

Harry looked back equally as shocked. "I swear, I didn't do anything!"

Hermione quickly started looking around their station to see what could have gone wrong. Her eyes widened as she noticed the Billywig Stings on the corner of the desk and no Lacewing Flies.

"The Lacewing Flies were supposed to go in before the Billywig Stings, Harry!" She exclaimed quietly to her best friend.

He looked on uncomfortably at her. "Uh, Hermione.." he stuttered.

She whipped around to face the raven haired boy. "What?!" She said in an exasperated tone. Trying to fix the damage Harry had caused.

He gave her a sympathetic look. "You added the Lacewing Flies."

She sputtered. "Wha- No, surely I didn't." She let out as if a question, gnawing at her lip.

She turned to Harry and at that moment the cauldron in between them exploded out a putrid green sludge all over the both of them and some of the surrounding classmates.

She stood there shocked. Her cheeks already reddening from embarrassment.

She looked up at Malfoy who was flicking remnants of their potion off of his robes in disgust. "For fuck's sake Granger, what's the matter with you?!" He exclaimed in distaste shooting a smear in her direction.

She looked on with horror as professor Snape glided over to her and Harry's station.

"My my Miss Granger" he tsked at her. "Maybe if you spent less time ogling Mister Malfoy you would have succeeded in this simple brew."

Her eyes bugged out of her head at being caught by the professor. She chanced a glance at the blonde who just rolled his eyes at her and turned back to his own potion.

"Sir! I can assure you I was not ogling Malfoy!" She hurried to try and explain herself but Snape cut her off with a raise of his hand.

"I have no interest in your silly excuses girl. 10 points from Gryffindor." He said with finality leaning into her space so only she could hear. "If you would like to stay at the top of your class. I suggest limiting your... distractions." He drawled, flicking his eyes quickly to Malfoy. "Pay attention." He backed away with a bored expression on his face.