Chapter 2: A Million Shades of Grey

The shimmering gate from the Senkaimon dissolved as the three safely landed on the familiar, solid ground of a hill overlooking Karakura Town. It was early morning, and the sun was barely rising over the cityscape.

Rukia let out a sigh of relief, enjoying the scent of freedom. A genuine smile bloomed on her face as she asked, "Why'd we arrive so far from the town?"

"This is the place Ichigo and I trained," Uryū answered.

In truth, Silas specifically chose this area to return to in case Kisuke Urahara was waiting for them. Much like in the story, Tessai sensed where Ichigo and his friends would arrive.

When Rukia noticed Silas in deep thought, she twirled a strand of hair and said, "We're back, so stop thinking so much." Uryū himself stretched, letting out a contented sigh. He was perhaps the most relieved after what he had been through. Unlike Silas, his problems in the Soul Society outweighed what his counterpart in the story underwent.

"Time to return to a life of normalcy," he said. While not exactly brimming with enthusiasm, his voice held a hint of satisfaction at returning to his familiar routine.

Silas, however, remained stoic. His gaze, though fixed on the town, seemed to pierce through it. He acknowledged Rukia's attempts at consolidating him by stroking her hair. There were too many things rushing through his mind that he had to consider. One of those things was how to deal with Kisuke one day.

He couldn't afford to indulge in Rukia's carefree joy or Uryū's quiet contentment. Rukia, oblivious to his schemes, held his hand. "What are you thinking about?"

"What do you mean?"

"I've been around you long enough to tell when your mind's drifting, you know."

Silas faked a calm smile. "I'm admiring the view."

Uryū, ever-observant, glanced ahead. "It is nice to be back."

Rukia beamed, seemingly accepting his explanation. "Well, let's celebrate! We could grab something to eat!"

The invitation, though sincere, wasn't a possibility. While the two were adjusting themselves, Silas had secretly been trying to detect Kisuke's whereabouts. So far, neither him nor Tessai could be sensed. They were a stark reminder that his ventures in the world of the living were far from over.

Uryū fixed his glasses, declining. "Thanks, but I'll pass. I am still a Quincy, after all."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Rukia asked.

It was evident to Silas that Uryū would turn her down. His pride as a Quincy wouldn't allow him to be seen with a Soul Reaper like Rukia. As he turned around to head towards the town, Silas watched him go.

Rukia expressed her desire to see everyone. Little had she known, Silas slew the entire Kurosaki family. Home was the last place he would take her.

After suggesting that the two spend some alone time first, footsteps were heard walking behind them. It was Ichigo's body, a body filled with an artificial soul. She was a tad surprised to see it, while Silas already knew it was close by.

All it took was a nod for him to understand that the artificial soul's task went according to plan. Moments before he entered the Soul Society from Kisuke's Senkaimon, the artificial soul had bowed to Silas. Yet no one knew what that bow truly meant. It was an acknowledgment to a request.

Rukia was confused, wondering how the artificial soul knew to come here. After Silas returned to his body, he explained, "I knew you'd come home with me, so I prepared my own way of celebrating."

Rukia became even more inquisitive. The day Silas left for the Soul Society, he gave specific orders to the artificial soul. One order was to flee the town with all of the Kurosaki family's assets. The next was to use whatever ethical method there was in order to multiply those assets. He didn't care what it was so long as it returned to this spot, waiting with no less than one million four hundred thousand yen (ten thousand USD).

In the event that Hollows attacked it or Kisuke grew suspicious of its whereabouts, it was to abandon everything and go into hiding until things calmed down. From that nod the artificial soul gave, Silas knew full well it had succeeded. Even after traversing to the Soul Society, he was still considering the aftermath!

"I'd like to take you somewhere you've never been. At least before we return home."

The place he suggested was a hotel. Thoughts of spending time alone with Silas made Rukia slightly blush. Trying to keep a straight face, she happily accepted.

There was no chance of her denying him. Silas knew her character all too well and understood what things she liked and didn't. He held too much influence over her. And being that it was still summer vacation added an extra layer to her acceptance.

The two descended the hill and waited for a cab to pick them up. Alone, their conversation revolved around the events Silas went through trying to save her. He used his words carefully, leaving out details like Yoruichi's death. And the more he serenaded her, the more she forgot about being a Soul Reaper.

Once the cab arrived and the two entered, he asked for the driver to take them to an expensive hotel far away. The trip took almost an hour to get there, costing him almost fifteen thousand yen (one hundred dollars). It was worth it when they stepped out onto the manicured driveway.

Valets in crisp uniforms rushed forward to greet them. Not needing attention, Silas dismissed the valets with a curt nod. Once they walked inside, Rukia couldn't help but let her eyes wander over the opulence. Crystal chandeliers dripped from the lobby ceiling, casting diamonds of light onto carpets and lavished furniture.

The doorman, a man whose smile seemed as polished as the floor, greeted them with a bow. "Welcome to the Imperial Hotel, esteemed guests."

"Are you sure about this, Ichigo?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper. "This place... it feels..."

"Impermanent," he finished.

He strode to the front desk and booked a room on the topmost floor for three nights, which cost him almost half a million yen. An extra one hundred thousand was spent to ensure their privacy. Upon paying, the two were led past other guests, wondering how high school students had enough money to stay here.

On the highest floor, their caretaker closed the doors behind them, leaving Rukia alone with the one man who could extract the Hōgyoku from her soul.