"You would have been just fine. Sure, you'd grieve and mourn for as long as you needed too but then you'd find happiness again. It may not be easy, and it may not be lots but you would have found the little things that still make you smile. Even laugh, maybe."

He blows out a breath that knocks the loose hair out of his face. "I hate that you're talking from experience."

"And I hate that you almost had that experience."

Rhys leans toward me, tears still clinging to his eyelashes as he kisses my nose before resting his forehead on mine, so softly that I barely feel it and I know he's worried about the swelling.

"I love you so fucking much, Nova." His voice is strong. The strongest it's been since I've woken up.

"Even if the star doesn't shine?" I croak, knowing full well that the star isn't as bright tonight.

He smiles and I melt into him even more. "Especially then, Nova. Especially then."

He holds me for a few more moments before loud footsteps pound from outside the door, hushed whispers following.

"Maeve! You're awake!" Liam screeches, launching himself at me before Noah catches him around the waist, gently holding onto him as he walks towards me.

"Hey, little man. Remember what we talked about?" Rhys asks.

Liam pouts, sagging against Noah. "We have to be gentle. Because Maeve is hurt."

Allie steps out from where she was hiding behind Noah, looks around and takes a deep breath before opening her eyes and fumbling around through Liam's backpack.

"Why don't you show Maeve what we've been doing the past couple of days? I think she'd love to see them." Allie hands Liam a handful of rumpled papers before Liam takes cautious steps towards me, looking at me like I'm a foreign object.

I pat the bed beside me. "Come lay down and show me."

Liam grins, waiting for Rhys to gently place him on the bed beside me, making sure none of the wires are in his way.

"Would one of you go get the doctor? She just woke up." Rhys mumbles to the couple by the door, who nod and exit the room.

"I drew so many things while you were asleep. This was when Rhysie and I took my bike out and he helped me practice. I'll have to show you when we get home." Liam exclaims, his hands doing most of the speaking as he points to drawing after drawing, some of his trucks and stuffed animals and even a drawing of Noah and Allie sitting on their couch. He must have drawn it when he was staying with them.

"How long was I out exactly?" I look at Rhys.

"Just over two days. Dr. Dix said your body needed plenty of rest."

"You had a very long nap." Liam chimes in, grabbing more crayons from his bag and scribbling, jolting when the doctor enters.

Dr. Dix-what the fuck kind of name is that?- explains what I should expect over the next few weeks regarding my chest and shoulder, along with how to manage the pain.

Allie helps me change out of my gown and into clothes she brought over for me while Rhys and Liam bring the truck to the front.

"Thank you." I give Allie a small smile as she helps me into the shoulder brace.

She grins, adjusting one of the straps. "Of course. Anytime."

"And thank you for watching Liam."

"He's an easy kid. We love having him over. If you need a night for yourself, we'll take him off your hands." She gives me another smile before helping me stand, the pain in my torso spreading more with each step to the wheelchair I have to ride down.

I huff. "Do I really need this?"

Allie shrugs. "No but it's protocol."

Rhys helps me into the truck, which is more painful than I'll admit to him. We thank Noah and Allie again before they head back to their own apartment.

Liam chats our ears off on the way home, filling me in on what happened over the past few days I've been in the hospital.

"Noah got us pizza for dinner. And we had cake. Even Allie ate some. She never eats. Why is that? And we watched The Croods. That movie was funny."

I chuckle, wincing. "That sounds like a lot of fun, Liam. We can watch the second one when we get home."

"There's a second one!? Rhys, did you hear that?"

Rhys laughs, glancing back at Liam through the rear view. "I heard buddy. And then tomorrow we can show Mae how you ride your bike."

"Why can't we do that tonight?" Liam whines.

"It's late, dude. Almost bedtime."

Liam pouts again, crossing his arms. "You're no fun. Noah let me stay up and help walk Leo."

Rhys cocks an eyebrow. "And Noah will be getting in trouble for that. I'm taking away his trucks. You want me to take away yours?"

"No! Not my trucks. Take all of Noah's instead!"

Rhys bursts out laughing while I grin.

There's lots of things we still need to talk about. But at the moment, this is exactly what all of us need. What I need. And for once, I'm going to be selfish.

I'm going to be selfish and choose to be around the two boys I love the most instead of choosing to relive one of the worst days for all of us.

That's how I'm going to be selfish for once.