Chapter 12

Rhys

"In your bag." Maeve points weakly to the red bag dropped beside Liam, who moments ago was throwing a fucking tantrum, screaming things that looked like broke Maeve's heart.

What has my heart breaking is watching Maeve walk so broken into her apartment, her shoulders dropped to the floor and her head hung.

The confidence that normally flows off her like a tsunami is all gone.

Not one trace. Like it wasn't even there to begin with. Maeve was born with fucking confidence like it was injected into her like a drug but it's like someone sucked my favourite drug right out of her.

She throws her keys harshly onto the counter, completely in her own head now as she weakly drags herself to the couch and takes a gentle seat, her one arm cradled in her lap as she stares blankly at the wall.

Her breathing starts to get sloppy and muffled, her nose twitching as she looks up at the ceiling, shoulders shaking like she's crying.

My stomach plummets, my chest swelling so much it actually fucking hurts to breathe as I watch her start crying. Not like Liam who was wailing earlier but quiet, controlled sobs seep out of her and it makes me want to vomit as I watch her cry for the first time in my life.

I've seen Maeve go through some rough things. I saw her go through school with undiagnosed dyslexia, failing almost all her classes in middle school through the first few years of high school.

I saw her constantly get bullied for it as well. I also saw the ups and downs of dealing with her father and mother.

And not once did she ever cry or look remotely hurt by everything around her when all anyone wanted to do was push her down.

I suck in a painful breathe, closing my eyes briefly before turning to Liam.

"Liam? How about you go play in your room until bed?" My voice is firm, nothing like how soft it was moments ago.

His little eyebrows furrow, glancing over my shoulder at his sister before frowning.

"What's wrong with Mavey? She never cries." He points out, worry filling his little eyes.

You don't have to tell me twice.

I stand and he follows, eyes never leaving Maeve who still stares intensely at the wall.

"You said some really hurtful things to her. Later, you need to apologize."

He blinks but nods, taking his bag and zooming down the hallway, the sound of a door being shut telling me he listened.

Smart man.

I take my time walking over to Maeve, rubbing my hands on my sweats before taking a seat to her left.

My arm brushes her's and she flinches, blinking out of her little trance.

Her eyes are red rimmed and filled with over flowing tears that can't be contained.

"Rhys?" Her voice is raw and scratchy like a record.

A beautiful, beautiful record.

I place my hands on top of hers. "Yeah, Nova?"

She shakes her head, her face suddenly scrunched up with pain, her nose red.

Her voice is barely a whisper. "I can't do this anymore, Rhys."

I feel my heart stop beating. "Do what, baby?"

She's silent for a moment or two, like she's trying to think of words.