Chapter 21- Father from the Truth

Start from the beginning

"They're your family, Conner." She reminded me rather gently. "It's Christmas day, and you need to spend it at home with the people you love. So don't worry! I'm sure he feels the same way."

I smiled at her. Alex was normally brash and brazen to a tee, but she certainly had her moments. "Thanks, Alex. You're gonna make a great mom."

She nudged me playfully. "I know." She unlinked our arms and knocked loudly on the door before I could even think of reacting. 

With a quick kiss on the cheek and a "Merry Christmas, you fine piece of meat!", she was gone in a flash and driving back to the twin's house. 

Pregnant or not, that girl was still as sly as a villainous fox with a rap sheet.

The door swung open, and a pair of giggling girls were suddenly wrapped around my legs. I couldn't help but laugh as I picked up one girl in each arm and held them as they peppered my cheeks with little kisses.

"Daisy! Marigold! What do I keep telling you about answering the door-" My mother's scolding halted when she saw me at the door, hugging my two little sisters. "My baby!" She yelled, and then I had another person attached to me.

"Mom!" I whined as she also sloppily kissed my cheek. Daisy and Marigold giggled behind their hands, green eyes shining with laughter. 

"Well isn't this nice?" Rose commented dryly, and I looked up to see the eldest sister standing in the doorway with her arms crossed. "A family reunion and you didn't invite me?" 

I rolled my eyes, but shifted the arm holding Marigold up to make room for her. She smiled and gave me a brief hug, before pinching harshly at my cheek. "It's about time you showed your sorry face around here! I didn't come home from college for my family to ignore me! Deal with your problems when I move back out."

Ignoring my older sister's jibe, I simply basked in the happiness of being back with my family. Daisy and Marigold went to some prestigious boarding school for super little geniuses, and only came home for Christmas break. Plus, I had just really missed my mom. And I suppose having Rose around wasn't so bad. Sometimes. 

My face was stretched so widely from smiling that I thought my face would split. Mom ushered me inside, and I put down the girls before being led inside.

There was a chorus of greetings from all of my extended family as I came inside. Several cousins gave me pats on the back, several aunts gave me lipstick covered kisses, and a few uncles gave me approving bro-nods.

My grandmother Deena held my face in her hands and simply cooed for the longest time. "Conner, my dear! When did you get so big and manly?"

"Mom, leave the poor kid alone." Uncle Phil rolled his eyes and gently pried off her hands from my face.

My other uncle Vince laughed heartily, clapping me on the back with enough strength to almost knock me off balance. "But Phil, just look at him! He's not a kid anymore!" He gave me a sly grin. "Conner's a man now! Ain't that right?"

The third brother, my uncle Finn, leaned in closer with a wag of his eyebrows. "So, have you fessed up to that pretty neighbor yet?"

My whole family seemed to gather closer at that. 

"The girl he was always playing with as a munchkin?" 

"You mean Selena?" Rose chipped in helpfully.

"Yes, Selena! I remember now!"

"She was such a little sweetheart!"

"I heard from Connie that they're dating now!"