The Storm

The weekend morning started off rather nice at first. Despite the exams starting on Monday, Neville was in good spirits all things considered. The first indication that he had of trouble was a shout of surprise from Hannah as she backpedaled and tripped over him. Twisting, Neville managed to catch his girlfriend before she hit the ground. The maneuver also happened to give him a clear view of the charging mass streaming through the gates of Hogwarts' grounds. Black cloaks were the majority though there were several camouflage fatigues, military uniforms and mangy rags mixed into the grouping.

A large, toothy grin spread across his face as Neville keyed his Comm Stone. "Emergency Broadcast. All units stand up; attack commencing, frontal assault. Longbottom coordinating decoy retreat. Disconnect." Levering Hannah back to her feet he turned to his other girlfriend and waved towards the two students near the giant squid. "Susan, get them inside. Hannah you grab the group by the tree. Remember none of the others are real so ignore the rest!"

"We're on it, Nev," Susan said pulling her wand and setting her features in stone. "Don't be stupid and attack Bellatrix or Crouch before the rest of our side shows up." Her warning delivered, she ran to grab the two volunteers and usher them back into the safety of the castle.

"You get yourself killed by being a hero and I'm going to slap you hard enough to wake you right back up," Hannah said as she moved to her assigned group as well.

Neville shook his head at his partners as a loud gong rang throughout the grounds. A silvery border briefly flashed to life around the perimeter wards before fading back to the normal invisible nature of the defenses. Neville knew that was the signal that a newly added aspect of the wards had just been dialed up to maximum. This layer handled physical 'deterrents' preventing any non-authorized personnel from exiting. Knowing that the Death Eaters were now trapped on one of the most fortified grounds in the country almost set Neville to chortling. Suppressing the urge, he turned to face the oncoming terrorists…never once losing his smile.

Neville's comm call cut off and a loud gong reverberated through the castle corridor. Hermione gave herself two seconds to panic before suppressing as much of her fear and worry as she could. "The Death Eaters are here, everyone!" she yelled. A gasp came from the direction of Madame Pince near the front of the room. Hermione didn't know whether it was from shock at her shouting in the library or from the content of said yell. Either way, it wasn't worth worrying about. "Everyone not staying to assist in the defense begin evacuation procedures!" Books dropped to tabletops and Hermione ran towards the entrance. She skidded to a stop in front of Pince and pulled out the utility belt Harry had given her. Draping the belt over her shoulders Hermione turned to the librarian. "Madame Pince, can you handle directing the students to the seventh floor exit? I have to get down and help on the front lines!"

"I-I have this covered," Pince said swallowing hard and clutching her wand like a drowning man clinging to a boat. "Stay safe, Miss Granger."

"You as well, Madame." Hermione finished cinching the belt and tore out of the library streaking towards the stairs. She took the steps two at a time praying that Neville was able to get the people inside before anyone was hurt. Hermione kept running as she started checking off the list of priorities and actions that needed to be taken. She was on the second floor landing as the entrance hall doors clanged shut.

"Students inside!" Susan yelled as the doors shimmered with the protective wards springing to life. "Where's – BUGGER!" Hermione hit the ground floor just in time to see Susan swing back to the door with a scowl and wand raised. "Drop the wards! I need to get my boyfriend away from his revenge before the army of arseholes kills him!"

Hermione grabbed the red-head's arm and started dragging her to the side. "Secret passage is one corridor over. Our own people will be streaming out from the others now so Neville will be fine."