Yule tidings

Harry walked into the Common Room early the morning after his talk with Shiva to see Hermione already sitting in her favorite spot and reading a book. Smiling he walked over to sit with her. "Hey."

"Good morning, Harry," Hermione said marking her page and setting it aside. "Sleep well?"

He nodded. "Yeah. So would you like to – "

Hermione put a finger over his lips before he could finish the question. "Before you ask, we need to talk for a minute."

"Is this a good talk or a bad talk?" Harry asked frowning. "Because I just had a rather emotionally draining talk with Shiva last night and I'd like to have a bit of warning if I'm about to have another one."

Hermione's eyes narrowed. "Oh? What kind of emotionally draining talk? Do I need to go and threaten her again?"

"No, it wasn't that bad. It was just – wait 'again'? When did you threaten Shiva the first time?" Harry asked gaping at his girlfriend.

Hermione blushed and looked down at the ground. "I…may have threatened to…end her after waking from the basilisk attack. You had just mentioned she was trying to become your legal guardian and I wanted her to understand that you trusted her and that if she used that to hurt you I'd make her life a living hell…" Hermione mumbled her face beet red.

Harry continued goggling at her before finally bursting out laughing and hugging Hermione to his chest. "Man, Mione, you are scary when you're angry. Thanks for sticking up for me back then though it really wasn't necessary." She nodded against his chest. "And it's not necessary now. She tried to convince me I should leave the wizarding world with her. That we'd move to a foreign country after the Yule Ball and only keep in contact with the main group."

Hermione pulled back drawing in a breath in a sharp gasp. "But the Tournament! That would make you lose your magic!"

Harry nodded. Before she could freak out further he kept talking. "Don't worry, I'm not going. I did consider it though. I agree with her that I'd be fine living a Muggle life if it kept me out of a casket, but I convinced her that I think it would only push off – and probably assure – my untimely death. Eventually Voldemort would come back, track me down and kill me without much of a fight. At least if I have my magic I can try and defend against him. The Tournament hasn't killed me yet and I'm getting a bit better."

Hermione sat back in the couch and didn't speak for a long time. Harry had almost decided to reach for her book when she started talking quietly. "You would've told me and Nym before you left right?"

"Of course," Harry said staring at her confused at the obvious question.

"And where you were going so we could follow you?"

Harry raised his eyebrows. "You wouldn't have been rid of me that easily, Mione."

Slowly she nodded. "I can understand why she'd advocate for that solution then. I certainly prefer you breathing as well."

"It would be rather gross trying to kiss a corpse," he said smiling.

"Don't even joke about that," Hermione shuddered. "Well, the talk I was going to initiate is…nowhere near that level of difficulty. It will likely be awkward and require some time to think about, but ultimately it rather pales in comparison."

"Well that's good to know. Shoot."

"You know I stayed with Fleur the other night…" When she paused Harry nodded. "We spoke. Quite extensively. Harry, I don't know how much you've noticed, but Fleur has not exactly been subtle about trying to get closer to the both of us."