chapter fifteen

"Yeh kya hai?" She slipped the shawl off of her head and stared at the garment bag laying on the bed. Rohail was placing his keys on the dresser, his lab coat on his arm as he looked at her.

"Dekh lo. You do have eyes you know. Quite pretty ones at that." He smirked. He looked heavily tired today and she couldn't help but catch onto that. His dark hair was mussed up, messy as the strands swooped over his forehead. His eyes a stormy grey behind dark rimmed glasses.

"Theek ho? Thak gaye?" She asked, politely for once. The smirk grew into a lopsided smile as he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the dresser.

"Itni tameez? Itni fikr?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Theek ho tum. Chawliyaan marne ki himmat mujood hai."

She unclipped her hair and placed the clip on the dresser besides him as he turned to look at her. "Don't you want to see what's inside?"

She massaged the tip of her nose. "Rohail, just tell me."

"You're acting as if you're the one who had three surgeries today." He frowned and that made her chuckle.

"Aww." She walked towards him and he uncrossed his arms, anticipating a hug. She leaned forward and tugged his cheeks.

"Kitne cute ho tum!"

He frowned, pulled her arms away. "Chalo, tareef toh ki."

"Tum meri kabhi karte ho?" She retorted.

He stepped forward, smirking and she stepped back not looking away. "Are you sure you're okay? Shayad memory kharab hai. I just complimented you, sweetheart."

She blushed. "It doesn't count if it's a joke."

"Meine kuch kaha?" He taunted her. "Mujhe bhi toh handsome se cute bana diya hai."

She sucked in a breath as she looked at him. He looked so dastardly handsome. Blue scrubs, those thick framed glasses, raven hair like ink and perfectly muscular arms folded one over the other.

And that smirk.

Like he knew.

She turned, walking to the garment bag. She pulled the zip, undoing it as the sides of the bag fell away to display red. Burgundy. Deep scarlett. She held the hanger as she pulled the dress out of the bag. It was a long Anarkali, made of chiffon with churidaar sleeves. The neckline was wide and would expose her collarbones, but not deep enough to show anything more.

She looked at him, her voice wavering. "Yeh kya hai?"

"Have you gone daft as well? It's a dress." He rolled his eyes.

"It's like the..."

"The outfit you wore the other day. Yes, it's similar. No. Not on purpose."

She touched the fabric. It was way softer than the one she had worn the other day. Proper chiffon. The dupatta had a thick lace border. The bodice was fitted. There were capris to go under the dress, wide legged trousers if anything.

"Rohail yeh bohot pyara hai." She said, her voice thick.

"Tum se kaam hai kya?"

She chuckled, wiping her eyes with the back of her hands. "Tum bohot filmy ho."

"Tayar hona aaj isko pehen k." He said, his voice hopeful. "I want to take you out."

"Red and on Valentine's Day. Mazaaq udhay ga." She teased, turning to him.

"I wish I hadn't done what I did. I would have seen you in red, as my bride." He admitted, a sad smile on his face.

Her breath hitched. Her heart hurt. "Rohail—!"