Chapter 10

I had made my way through the French doors and past the matching sliding door in the dining room to get to the kitchen. To the right of the door was a wall but directly across from the sliding door was a small rectangular table that had some random kitchenware on it, to the left of that was a large, marbled countertop that continued to stretch to the left until it stopped at a stove, one that Ezra had boasted about being professional grade and better than the average stove because it was double wide.

Opposite of the large stove was more marbled counter space and to the right of that space, at the furthermost corner of the room to the left of the kitchen door, was another white painted sliding door with three glass panes that matched the same door I had been standing at.

As I walked into the room, it unfolded in front of me, as it had done for Ezra. I had entered the kitchen and gone to the counters that were across from the stove and searched the bottom cabinet for a large glass cup which I had found easily enough.

Then I followed to the back of the kitchen where the pantry was and slid the door open. I had made my way to the back of the kitchen and into the very deep pantry, once inside I made my way to the huge electronic cooling container Ezra called a fridge and pulled the door open. I had reached for a cold bottle of water and closed the fridge; I had scurried around to find a room temperature bottle for myself and, once found, I walked out of the closet storing the food.

I had placed the bottles of water next to the glass cup, where I'd left it, and picked up the cold bottle and pulled the twist cap right off the bottle top. In that moment I had remembered that Ezra wanted ice for his water, so I had scurried back to the freezing part of the fridge and pulled out the slim bucket from the within and brought it to the counter. I had filled the cup with the ice and put the bucket back in the fridge, then proceeded to pour the cold water into the ice filled glass.

I had taken a couple of selfish moments to relish the feeling of having helped someone and doing it correctly. I had mumbled a lousy "I did it." to myself, and then the feeling became more selfish as curiosity got the best of me and before I knew it, I had been closing my eyes and playing with the energy of my magic.

It had started off just as a precaution, I had only been checking to see if my magic was only mine.

When I'm searching for my magic, I can feel it dancing around me, it's never too far off from me either so it has felt like second nature to be able to pull into myself. And I can almost hear the energy of the world buzzing like a livewire calling me in, and as tempting as it is to pull it in along with my own magic, I never do, I've only pulled from my own energy.

But what happened before had startled me. The energy I had felt on the couch had been intense and obnoxious, it had been pulling me toward it to the point I'd gotten dizzy.

And in that moment as I was searching through my energy and magic, I couldn't find anything at all like the energy from before.

Just as I had been about to give up on my small search, I felt it. The overwhelming pull to this unruly and stomach flipping energy. Only, it had been stronger the second time around. So much stronger, in fact, that when I let go of my own magic it had thrown me off my own feet and flung me back and into the stove. I had anticipated the blow to come ben it never did, instead once I had landed, I had rolled over and looked under myself.

It had been to my absolute surprise that a fluffy shimmering golden dome had broken my fall, it covered most of my bottom half and all my upper body, including my head.

It was one of Ezra's shields that had broken my fall, and once I'd realized that I had spun back around and stood up. I had smoothed my sundress down and looked for Ezra all around the room. I had expected to see him by the first sliding door to this room, but he hadn't been there. I had done a quick sweep of the kitchen to make sure I hadn't missed him in there by chance, but I hadn't found him.