Chapter 5 | Three Steps Back

Start from the beginning

A group of us were standing in an alleyway between two houses hiding from the Titans to discuss our plan.

Jean speaks up, "What do you mean if? It's not like we can count on them to follow protocol."

"What if our situation gets risky? Are we free to act at our own discretion or what?" Annie asks.

"Whatever'll make it easier on you," our Elite answers her question.

The sound of a Titan stomping fast forces us to redirect our attention, "Team Kirschtein, move out!"

"Yes, sir!" With those instructions, we were set on moving out. We ran and ran trying to lead every Titan we could find closer to the corner but some of them got too close to the other cadets leaving us with more casualties.

I can hear the last of our Elites screaming as they were being forced into the mouths of a Titan. All that's left is Me, Annie, Connie, and Jean, "Looks like we're on our own now," I say as I continue to run with the three Titans following us.

"Split at the next opportunity!" Jean gives us directions. He really is a good leader, whether he likes it or not. As soon as the next corner became available to us we split our ways, leaving me Titanless. I take this chance to attach my gear to the wall and head to the top. I take a moment to catch my breath and see Annie and Connie make it up the walls as well.

"Jean!" Connie yells out looking below him. I walk towards the edge to see Jean running away from a ten-meter Titan.

"What's he doing? And why the hell isn't he using his gear? Hang on! Don't tell me it's not working!" Connie's voice shows worry.

For a moment Jean disappears inside a house, I presume to take cover from the Titan chasing him. It doesn't take long before he reappears running straight for the lifeless body lying near him, "What's happening?"

"His gear isn't working," I tell Marco without taking my eyes off Jean.

Marco doesn't take another second to think before he jumps straight down heading towards the Titan in front of his friend. As soon as I see him go, I follow through not wanting to see Jean die today. Marco leads the Titan away on foot, while the rest of us follow him from above making sure to look out.

Connie jumps off the roof knocking into the Titan right in front of Jean but as soon as he turns the other way another one appears to be coming straight for him

"Jean–" My own words get cut off by my sudden movements. I jump down to the ground and use my gear to fly under the Titan's legs with my blades out ready to cut its ankles. As soon as I do, it comes straight down. I looked up to see Annie had helped me knock the Titan down.

First saving Connie and now Jean. Thankfully Reiner isn't here to give us any shit about it.

Sooner or later we all ended up back on top of the wall. Out of breath but all of us are alive. We weren't even given a second to catch our breaths before we heard new orders from below us.

"Defend him! To the last man if that's what it comes to!" I hear as I watch Eren's Titan walk towards the gate with a giant bolder held on his back, "Eren must reach the gate! I don't want a single Titan anywhere near him!"

"It looks like we're back on! Focus on keeping Eren safe!" Jean takes his leadership role seriously and directs us with new instructions. The four of us go on our own separate ways to try and lure any Titans getting too close to Eren away.

The Titans seem to be more interested in Eren than anything else making it easier to take them down. Apparently not easy enough though. I can hear more and more screams coming from the soldiers in the hands of the Titans.