𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳

Start from the beginning

"He was my Protector first," Annabeth countered.

"First?" Percy repeated, looking at Grover. "What do you mean 'first'?"

Enid glanced at Grover, who was still attempting to divert the conversation. "Very exciting, getting to walk in Uncle Ferdinand's footsteps. Next best thing to getting to talk to him again."

"Thalia, Luke, and Annabeth had a satyr Protector. That was you," Percy realized, finally putting the pieces together. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Grover sniffed, completely ignoring Percy and his reproaches. "Do you guys smell that?"

"Grover, I'm not kidding--"

"No, neither am I. Just shush," Grover instructed Percy as he continued sniffing. "Hamburgers."

Following the enticing scent that only he could detect, Grover walked ahead. Percy and the girls followed him, still slightly confused but intrigued by the unexpected turn of events.

Enid sniffed, attempting to catch a whiff of the delicious hamburgers Grover mentioned. "Grover, what are you doing--"

"Somebody is making hamburgers in the middle of nowhere, on a satyr path," Grover explained as he continued walking. "Whoever it is, they're from our world."

Following Grover's keen sense of smell, they arrived at a run-down campsite, surrounded by stone statues. Annabeth sighed, feeling exasperated. "Oh, come on. Aunty Em has a garden full of petrified stone folks. Yeah, this is someone from our world, all right. Anyone wanna guess what Em is short for?"

The four children comprehended that the garden was not filled with random statues, but with people transformed into stone statues... by Medusa.

"Let's get out of here, please, while we still can," Annabeth pleaded with a scared look as she started to leave.

As they were about to depart, a Fury blocked their path. Percy threw his box at Grover and brandished his sword. The Fury turned to Annabeth. "You should have accepted my offer when you had the chance."

Enid frowned as she and the boys looked at Annabeth, confused. Percy spoke up, "Offer? What offer is she talking about?"

"Not today, friends," a woman's voice came from behind them. The Fury immediately hid her face in her wings, avoiding eye contact with the lady. "Not on my doorstep."

Hearing footsteps approaching them, they turned slowly. Enid gasped as she realized. "Oh, shoot." She grabbed Percy's arm and turned him, ensuring he avoided Medusa's gaze. Annabeth and Grover also turned and closed their eyes.

"If you have something to resolve, why not come inside, and I'll help? Alecto? Will you be joining us?" Medusa continued speaking as she approached. Enid still held Percy's arm tightly as she heard Medusa's footsteps. "No, well, I wouldn't think you would. She won't bother you as long as you're with me. But it isn't as though she'll leave either, not if it means reporting that she failed to retrieve the son of Poseidon."

Percy frowned. "How did you--"

"A forbidden child has been claimed. How long did you think that secret would keep?" Medusa cut him off, smiling. "It's a pleasure to meet you, son of Poseidon. I'm Medusa."

Enid noticed Percy's gaze as he began to look upwards. She held his arm firmly. "Don't."

"She's a monster," Annabeth added, as Percy lowered his gaze to the ground.

"We all choose who we make our monsters, but right now, that one wants to tear you limb from limb, and I'm offering you lunch. The choice is yours," Medusa stated. They heard footsteps again, this time receding. Enid looked up, followed by her friends.

"I think we can trust her," Percy admitted, receiving skeptical looks from his friends.

"What?"

"Dude!"

"Are you really that stupid?"

"I can't explain it, I just..." Percy began, striking a pose when he noticed Enid's hand still holding his arm. The brunette quickly walked away, clearing her throat in embarrassment. "My mom used to tell me her story. And the point was always that she isn't what people think. And I definitely trust my mom. So I'm going in. You guys do what you want."

Percy walked towards Medusa's house, leaving his three friends behind. Annabeth rolled her eyes, finding Percy increasingly foolish. Enid crossed her arms and sighed in defeat. "I'm going in too."

Annabeth abruptly grabbed Enid's arm before she could take another step towards Medusa's house. "No way."

"We can't leave him," Enid raised her voice, trying to convey to her friend that Percy needed them, regardless of what he said.

"If you want to risk your life for your boyfriend, I don't care, but there's no way I'm leaving you alone with Medusa," Annabeth retorted angrily, determined not to put Enid in danger no matter the cost.

"Come with us then," Grover intervened, and the two girls turned to him.

"Oh, so you're going too?" Annabeth exclaimed, throwing her arms up in frustration.

"Of course I'm going. Enid's right, Percy is our friend, and I'm so hungry," Grover said hurriedly, trying to lighten the mood.

Enid nodded, exchanging a meaningful glance with Annabeth before heading towards Medusa's house. Grover glanced at Annabeth, sensing her hesitation, before hurrying to catch up with Enid.