08. MERCY OVER MURDER

Start from the beginning

A single word. A single word is all he had to say to make Euphrosyne nearly storm out. "Please." He whispered to Lamina.

Marcus turned away while Lamina took out her axe. She held back his head before connecting her axe with his throat. Euphrosyne shut her eyes tightly, looking away from the screen. She felt like throwing up. Not only because of the gory sight, but also because of Marcus, an innocent boy who wanted nothing more than to escape, got tortured and beaten up, and eventually an axe to the throat. All because he didn't want to fight and kill other children to save his own life.

The buzzer sounded as many of the students let out surprised gasps. Pup let out a small cheer, seeming pretty pleased with Lamina's kill. The number of donations on his screen went up.

The girl from 7 cut down the ropes that were holding Marcus' body up, making him fall down instead.

"Cold pressure system's gonna swoop on in, bringing cooler temperatures and some much needed relief to our coal miners out there, atleast until early evening. That's the weather." Lucky finished before turning to look at the audience, holding up his microphone once again. "Was it mercy? Was it murder?"

"It was mercy." Euphrosyne whispered. She was sure of it. As much as the Capitol liked to think of the tributes as animals, they weren't. They had feelings, just like them. Including sympathy. What Lamina did wasn't because she felt like going on a murder spree, it was because she felt for the boy and wanted to end his suffering. Like a decent human being. The Capitol lacked those. Euphrosyne realized that more everyday.

"Either way, that's what happens when you do stuff. You get attention." Lucky made his way to Pup. "Citizens send you money. Now, once they get your money, the mentor can choose to send in food or water," He kneeled down, placing a hand on Pup's shoulder. "using our newly developed drones from the war, reprogrammed with facial recognition. This ensures that your package directly to your tribute. Isn't that right, Pup Harrington?"

"Yeah." Pup spoke plainly.

Euphrosyne had send Reaper and Dill some food and water earlier, though no one really noticed due to them not paying attention. However, the whole Lamina and Marcus situation sure woke everyone up.

Seems like their drones needed some updates. When the mentor had tried sending Lamina a glass bottle of water, the drone slammed into the hard stone, breaking it into a thousand pieces.

"What?"

Lucky clicked his tongue with a shake to the head. "Well, that's bad luck."

Euphrosyne stood up, swinging the bag she always took with her over her shoulder. She figured it'd be fine to leave the broadcast room for atleast a few minutes. She still wanted to go check on Sejanus. Not only that, but some fresh air and a little time away from the games would do her good. She already felt sick enough.

Luckily, no one paid attention to her as she made her way to the exit, apart from her father, who had been sitting next to Dr. Gaul on the front row. She gave him a small wave, which he returned. As Euphro gave the Head Gamemaker a polite smile, she felt goosebumps upon her skin.

The girl let out a breath she didn't know she was holding when she exited the room. A soft breeze hit her skin. It felt nice, given how hot it was outside. 

What she didn't expect to see however, was Sejanus sitting on one of the steps of the outdoor stairs. He blankly stared ahead of him, hands in his lap. Had he been sitting there the entire time?

She frowned at his state, taking a seat next to him. "I'm so sorry, Sejanus. Are you okay?"

He shook his head, lips pressing into a tight line. "How can I be okay after seeing what they did to Marcus?"