Chapter 5

Once they all arrived at Foxfire, Linh immediately ran inside. Everyone else followed, trying to catch up to her.

As she reached Elwin's office, she couldn't help but imagine all the horrible things that might be happening to Tam and Sophie. She wondered how Dex managed to leap them out of wherever they were.

Linh swung the door open and stormed inside. On one cot Tam lay unconscious and on another lay Sophie, who was barely responsive. Elwin's banshee lay next to Tam.

"What happened? Is Tam okay? And Sophie? What about De-"

"Linh, I'm right here." She turned and saw the strawberry-blonde haired boy sitting on one of the cots, drinking an elixir.

"Oh thank goodness you're alright." She hugged him tightly. From the doorway, Wylie shifted on his feet awkwardly, glaring at the two hugging.

"What happened?" She asked as she pulled away from Dex.

"Ah, it seems that Sophie and Tam inhaled a dangerous and toxic gas." Elwin explained. "Neither has been responsive though... I fear the worst." He sighed.

Linh looked at her brother, whose chest was barely rising and falling with his breathing. Grady, Edaline, and Keefe now stood by Sophie, who softly groaned.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know if they'll make it." Elwin said sadly. A tear fell from his eye.

Linh shook her head over and over. No, she refused to believe that her brother and leader were going to die.

"Linh, are you alright?" Wylie asked, putting a hand on her shoulder, attempting a comforting gesture. Linh tensed for a second, then shook her head, tears rolling down her face as she held her arms out to Dex. Wylie stepped back as Dex rushed forward and held the girl tightly.

Biana was watching the interaction, and suddenly realization dawned on her. Her mouth hung open with a silent "oh". Dex and Linh? I mean, they're pretty cute together... Biana looked over at Fitz, who watched the interaction. He watched them with a look of confusion, before he realized.

I wonder what Wylie thinks, Fitz told Biana telepathically.

Biana agreed. I mean, doesn't he have a crush on Linh?

I think so. I mean, just look at him right now.

Biana glanced out of the corner of her eye and saw Wylie trying to hide his hurt and anger at Dex.

Yeah, it's confirmed. Wylie is angry at Dex. Biana thought.

I wonder what he'll do to Dex.

Knowing Wylie he would either have a physical fight with Dex, or, he would do nothing at all and suffer in the pain.

Maybe he should talk to Keefe about it, Fitz transmitted to Biana.

Why- ohhhh. Yeah that's a good idea.

Especially since Keefe knows what he's going through since he went through it with Sophie and... well and me. Fitz laughed telepathically, if that was possible.

Wylie didn't know how he felt. Sure, he felt hurt and maybe even some anger and loathing at Dex, but all of that was jumbled up with a bunch of other emotions. Sadness for Linh because of Tam was one of them, he could figure that much out. But everything else was one big mess of feelings.

Maybe he would have to ask Keefe for help later.

//////

Dex and Linh sat in each other's embrace for a long time.