Whispers in the Moonlight

Dear Section Commander Hange,

As you read this letter, I may no longer be amongst the living. I have been battling an illness for several years now, a struggle known only to my colleagues at the Military Clinic. However, let us set that aside for the moment.

I wish to share with you the story of my cherished granddaughters, Y/n and Isobel L/n. They are my sole remaining family, orphaned since the passing of my daughter and son in law. I have kept my illness hidden from them, for they have endured enough hardship, and I desire for them to live their lives to the fullest.

Isobel, the younger of the two, has chosen to join the Survey Corps. When her determined heart sets its course, her mind follows suit, and so does Y/n, my elder granddaughter, who's driven by a desire to protect her little sister at all costs.

What I believe will capture your interest, Commander, is Y/n's beautiful mind. She has always harbored a passion for science, often spending days engrossed in my medical texts, seeking understanding of human behaviour. When faced with unanswered questions, she would embark on her own experiments, surprising even me with her ability to connect the dots and find answers.

However, I do not wish for you to take my word alone. Enclosed within this envelope are some of Y/n's most compelling research papers. I trust they will speak volumes about her intellect and curiosity.

In many ways, Y/n reminds me of you, Commander. The fervor with which you both discuss ideas, theories, observations, and discoveries is a rarity within the walls. It is my final wish that you two have the opportunity to meet and exchange thoughts.

I implore you to seek out Y/n and afford her the chance she deserves. Consider this my parting gift to you—and to her.

Sincerely,

Dr. Gladis Preston

As I folded the letter, a single tear slid down my cheek. Sitting on the ground, surrounded by dust, I pulled my legs close and rested my head on my knees. The words of the letter echoed in my mind, each line a stark reminder of loss.

With a deep breath, tears began to flow unchecked. The revelation of her illness, kept hidden until the end, struck me deeply. She had shielded us from her pain, protecting us with her love until her final moments.

Memories flooded my mind, both comforting and painful. I remembered her gentle embrace, her hands holding us close. Each memory spoke volumes of her selflessness, her unwavering devotion to our well-being.  I pressed my lips and closed my eyes, trying to remember how our home in Trost always smelled of fresh bread when we visited on our days off. God, I wish Izzy was here with me now. I lifted my head, wiped away my tears, and rested my chin on my knees.

Looking at the white roses in front of me, glowing in the moonlight, a small smile formed on my lips. Finally, I found my voice.

"Thank you, Nana," I murmured, reaching out to touch one of the delicate blooms. "You were the best gift we could have ever asked for."

"Hey, you there!" A deep, male voice broke my peace, and I gasped sharply as I jumped to my feet, whirling around to see what had disturbed me. Before me stood a shadowy figure, his face hidden in the darkness. My heart pounded so hard I thought it might burst from my chest. However, the sight of a familiar cloak waving behind him eased my fear slightly.

"What the hell?" I exclaimed, squinting and trying to make out his features. All I could see was an undercut and hair darker than the night itself.

"Either that flower's name is Nana, or you are completely insane," he said in a monotone, emotionless tone.