Bed Rest (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Sounds about right," Sophie mumbled.

"I'll make that my goal, then," he said softly, tracing his thumb lightly across the back of her gloved hand. "To be the version of myself that your instincts tell you to trust rather than the one who keeps betraying you instead."

"I like that plan." Sophie sighed. "I guess I should let you get some rest. I bet just sitting up for this long is wearing you out."

But she didn't get up.

"Don't go," he said quietly. "Not when I don't know if you're still mad at me." But then he smirked. "You know where I'm staying now. You could totally sneak back and kill me or inflict on me while I'm sleeping. I'll feel safer knowing you're not harboring any resentment."

She couldn't help but laugh.

Which she thought was probably the point. He could probably tell her mood was better than when she'd arrived.

Which, of course, was why she came.

"You going to answer me, Foster, or should I be scared for my life?"

"Sorry," she said. "I was just thinking about how it's hard to stay mad at you when clearly I need you in my life because you always find a way to cheer me up."

She'd said it lightly, with a hint of a grin, but her comment made his whole face light up with a smile.

Not a smirk. A smile.

"So, does that mean I'm forgiven?" He asked.

Sophie's eyes darted down to where his bandage was wrapped around his torso. A wave of nausea washed over her again as she remembered watching Keefe receive that injury.

"Hey," he whispered, responding to her mood shift. "I'm—"

But she scooted closer to him and placed her free hand over his mouth. "You don't have to apologize again. Part of me is still angry, yes. But I have forgiven you. I realize the reason I've been so angry is because I care so much about you." She looked away and said the next words without thinking. "Maybe too much."

Keefe scooted in closer—his free arm wrapping around his torso like he was trying to hold it in place as he did so—and looked in her eyes. "Makes a nice change," he murmured. "My parents always cared too little."

It was a heartbreaking truth he'd just spoken, but this time, there was no sadness in his eyes. Only something more akin to wonder or awe.

She could tell, because they were now sitting very, very close.

Which made her heart flutter some more.

"Sophie," Keefe whispered, so close his breath was warm on her cheeks.

And he was looking at her like...

Like he never wanted to look away.

And then, without another word, he leaned in a bit more—it didn't take much—and kissed her.

She supposed she should've been more surprised, but for some reason, it was almost like she'd been expecting it. Waiting for it.

Suddenly she was hyper aware of everything. The gentle pressure of his lips. The way her heart started beating wildly. The way his hand shook as he disentangled it from hers and ran it up her arm, bringing it to rest on her cheek. How warm his hand was.

And aware of the fact that kissing him felt so comforting and electrifying at the same time.

But then, suddenly, Keefe let out a quiet gasp of pain and pulled back.