E L E V E N

January 11th. My brother's birthday.

Renee and I woke up a little differently this morning. We didn't talk much, because we both knew what the other was thinking.

"Hey Parker." Renee said softly. I turned my head to face her before she continued. "Do you want to go ahead and make the call?"

I held eye contact with Renee for a long time, thinking about the question. We've called Cameron every single year for the last 4 years on his birthday. He never answered, of course, but it just felt nice to call.

After a long moment of hesitation, I nodded. "Yeah, we should."

Renee nodded, and the two of us walked out into the living room, getting ourselves settled down. "Who's phone are we supposed to call from this year?" Renee asked, scrunching up her face.

"I think we used mine last year, so it should be yours." I answered.

Renee pulled out her phone and scrolled through her contacts. It didn't take her long, 'Anderson' was always close to the top. Renee had always loved how convenient that was.

"Ready?" Renee asked and I nodded as she hit call.

The phone rang several times with no answer, as expected.

Finally, Cameron's voicemail came up. "Hey, it's Cameron! I can't make it to the phone right now, but leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!"

I smiled at the sound of my brother's voice, and when I looked over, Renee was smiling too.

Beeeeeep.

"Hey Cam." Renee said with a small smile.

"Hey Cammy." I added.

"We wanted to call you to wish you a happy birthday. We miss you tons, dude."

"So much has happened in the past year." I giggled.

"Yeah, really." Renee chuckled. "We have so much to tell you."

"Mom and dad are still here." I smiled. "They miss you a lot, but they've been getting better."

"Sparkler finally agreed to be mine." Renee said with a big smile. "We're together like you always wanted, Cammy."

I glanced at her with a big smile forming on my face. "Renee's music career is really taking off too. She's going to win a grammy one day, I can feel it."

"That may be a little dramatic." Renee laughed.

"No really, Cam. The whole world is obsessed with her right now."

"I pissed some people off." Renee laughed. "They think I'm immature and unfiltered."

"Because she is." I smiled. "But that's why I love her."

"Sparky moved in with me." Renee chimed in. "She finally let me steal her out of that old shoebox she was living in."

"And so far I love it." I said seriously.

"I'm making sure she's taken care of, Cam, just like I always promised."

"We really fucking miss you Cam." I said, a single tear running down my face.

"Watch your language, baby." Renee said, using her thumb to swipe the tear off of my cheek.

"Oh yeah, I'm 21 and Renee still thinks I shouldn't curse." I chuckled. "She didn't care when I was younger. What's up with that?"

"Come on, baby, you know Cameron hated it."

"I know." I sighed. "I'm working remotely still, working in person has just-" I cut myself off. "It's just really hard still."