Note - posting this early bc yay I wrote more lol

!!! TWs - None !!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean "Spot" Conlon

The place where I usually get coffee is closed... for good. That is why I began asking people for coffee shop suggestions. The last three seem to have gotten together and agreed that they would all say ''Marigold's Coffee House', so I am now headed two blocks north. I apparently 'can't miss it', but we'll see. I take a right turn and look down the street. I guess I did not miss it.

The sign hangs over the doorway, like an arm reaching for the lamppost on the other side of the walkway. It is a soft evergreen colour. Apparently, 'Marigold's Coffee House' is also a bookshop.

I open the door and step inside. I didn't realize how cold I was until I felt the warmth of the wood stove. It feels nice. It smells nice in here too, possibly better than the old place. I stand against a wall to take it in. The wall with the front counter is made of reddish-brown coloured bricks. The rest of the walls are smoothly plastered in an off-white colour. There is a huge front window with light green curtains. It is bright but with warm lighting. Six tables line the wall, opposite the counter, each holding a small vase of flowers, a napkin dispenser, and a sugar packet dish. A grandfather clock is against the far wall, behind the bookshop counter. Bookshelves line the back wall and run behind the tables.

So I get in line. I order. I wait for my drink to be ready. The guy handing me a coffee looks familiar..? I almost flinch. Somehow I recognize this person. I just can't place it. He was probably just one of the newsies. Probably...

I take my coffee, pour a little sugar in, and sit at the furthest table from the counter. I watch the guy serve other people. I notice how blue his eyes are and how perfect his curls are. I notice how tired he looks. I know him. I must know him. Why can't I remember him?