01, dear charlotte.

DRESS
❝ i'm so glad to have met you. ❞
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

HER HANDS WRAPPED around the warm mug, a silence filling the room.

The couple sat opposite her, huddled up together as they kept their gaze down. Charlotte couldn't help but to stare at them, internally pointing out the similarities she could see between them. 

Breaking the silence, the husband spoke up. "So, what brings you here, Miss Vanderbilt?"

"Oh, just call me Charlotte, it's fine," she smiled politely. "well, Wovey asked me to deliver some things to you after the Games."

The expressions on their faces turned solemn. Charlotte reached into her bag and pulled out a few brown envelopes, covered delicately with tissues to prevent any dirt from staining the paper. She passed them to the woman, whose eyes were already on the brink of tears at the mention of her daughter.

Snuggling closer into the blanket for warmth, the woman gave her husband the second envelope, and to Charlotte's surprise, gave her one as well.

"Oh, sorry. You must be mistaken. Maybe it's for one of her friends?" Charlotte pushed the envelope back into the woman's scarred hands, but she shook her head.

"Nope, for 'Charlotte Vanderbilt'" she read out. Her mind quipped with interest, and she finally took the letter from the woman's hands. 

She glided her fingers through the seal of the envelope, tearing the two pieces of paper apart. Sliding the paper out, she carefully brought it up, her hands shaking in the slightest. She opened up the folded paper, her eyes scanning the words once written by the sweetest girl she'd ever known.

DEAR CHARLOTTE,

It's me, Wovey. I know you weren't probably expecting this from me, but you deserve this. 

I was so scared at the Reaping when my name was called out, and even more on the ride the way to the Capitol. I knew I stood no chance of survival, but I only hoped that someone out there would care for me.

And you came along. 

I could still remember the first day I saw you at the train station. I was absolutely frightened and shook up, but your presence made it seem like it would all be okay. 

You were so unbelievably kind to me even when you had no reason to be. You took me under your wing when you didn't have to, and made sure I was always okay. I have no doubt you would look after me in that arena. 

So, I guess, all I want to say to you is thank you. Thank you for believing in me when no one else did. Thank you for helping me in more ways than you could ever imagine. Thank you for making me laugh and always coming by to check up on me. Thank you for sacrificing your time to hang with me. Thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you for being the older sister I never had. 

I'm so glad to have met you,
Wovey from 8.

Sobs from in front of her broke her out of her trance, only for her to realize she had tears streaming down her own face as well. She wiped them away with the sleeves of her sweater, but the glossiness still stayed, blurring her vision. 

Wovey's parents were practically hugging onto each other for dear life, their sobs uncontrollable. Her mother had her face buried in her husbands neck, whilst her father comforted his wife, kissing the top of her head. They stayed that way for awhile, leaving Charlotte in an awkward position, but she didn't mind. 

Once the woman could detach herself from her husband, she stood up and embraced Charlotte in a big bearhug. Charlotte hugged her back, squeezing the mom's figure ever so slightly for reassurance.

"Thank you," the mother whispered in her ear. "For taking care of my Wovey."

The woman pulled away, bringing her hands up to frame Charlotte's face. She used her thumbs to wipe the tears that threatened to fall out her eyes with a sad smile. 

"You look so much like her," she whispered, letting go. To her surprise, Wovey's father, who seemed cold when she first appeared at their doorstep, also gave her a small hug.

When they were done, Charlotte packed up her stuff to leave, not wanting to burden the family any longer. Yet she was stopped before she could even exit the house by Wovey's mother who ran further into the house and came back out a minute later.

She placed a metal object onto the palm of her hands gently. Against the pale tone of her hands was a beautiful silver moon charm, with exquisite detailing.

"We got this for her when she was only five. She loved it so much she brought it with her everywhere." 

"It's beautiful, but I can't take this," Charlotte declined, but Wovey's mother insisted.

"She wanted you to have it, so you must take it. One more thing for my Wovey, please?" her mother said, closing Charlotte's hand around the charm, forming a fist. Speechless, she pulled the woman in for another hug before bidding her goodbyes.

The car waited for her right outside, just as how it did when it dropped her off. She slid into the backseat of the car, next to her father who waited for her patiently.

"How was it?" her father greeted.

"Good. I think they really needed that closure," she said. Her father nodded.

"It's good you did it."

"You think so?" she pipped.

"As a parent, I know so." Charlotte leaned onto her father, resting her head on his shoulder. 

"I'm so proud of you, blondie." Her father mumbled into her hair. 

Her mind gave out after that, putting her to a good sleep for the rest of the night. The next destination would be her final one, but little did she know the surprises that would await her when she arrived, and even more once she was settled in. 

- ͙۪۪̥˚┊❛ author's notes ❜┊˚ ͙۪۪̥◌

just a suuper short filler chapt :))
next one will be longer and better i proomise 
BTW! thank u all for 16k reads and 400+ votes omg i love u all 

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

© dress \ aclpwzs