might as well be drunk in love

Start from the beginning

"but i'm the reason bob is dead." she muttered, "i knocked a broom over, we would've gotten out.."
"that was not your fault. don't think it's your fault that those terrible monsters attacked bob. you should never feel guilty for that."
"but he died saving me."
"he died as an amazing man and everyone here will remember him for that."
"bob newby, superhero."

"this is what i mean gwen, you care so much. you care maybe even too much. that's one of the many things i like about you. you have the biggest heart i've ever seen." steve said, "you hide behind all of these walls, and you hide behind everyone around you, but you've never gone unnoticed by me."
"really?"
"yes, i think you might be my favorite person i know."
"but why? i'm nothing special. i'm just plain old gwen byers."

"you need to give yourself more credit." he said, "i mean, i think that you're the most beautiful girl i've ever seen."
"oh."
"sorry."

"don't be sorry." she smiled, "i think you're beautiful too."

"what?" he laughed softly, the smile on his face in that moment would probably stay with her for a while, it was the cutest smile she'd ever seen

"no, wait, i mean like.. well you know what i mean." she chuckled leaning closer to him, not on purpose, it was just that something was drawing her towards him, it was like a fridge to a magnet.

"no i don't know what you mean." he said, his voice low and almost in a whisper, his breath caught in his throat as his eyes looked up and down, back and forth from her eyes to her lips as her face was only inches away from his own, "please, let me know what you actually meant."

the closeness of their faces was making the girl go crazy. they were so close. her heart felt like it was jumping out of her chest, could he hear how fast her heart was beating? he leaned in even closer, close enough thst their noses were touching, both of them too scared to close the gap between them, "steve.." she said, her voice barely audible it was so quiet, staring longingly into his eyes, he dropped his rag and had his hands on either side of her face, he was so close. all he had do was kiss her.

"gwen!" they heard joey yell as she walked back into the room, the pair moving away from each other quickly, and steve picking up the rag as of nothing had just happened, or well, almost happened, "oh, sorry, am i um.. interrupting something?"

"no, no. hi joe." gwen said, smiling as she slowly got up from the couch to go hug the younger girl

"he's staring at you." joey whispered, directly into her ear, "i saw the way you guys were looking at each other."

gwen's face went bright pink as the girl said this, "shush joe."

"gwen?" her mom rushed into the room when she heard joeys voice, "hi baby, are you okay?"
"i've been awake for about 15 minutes."
"why didn't you tell me?"
"you were busy waiting for will to wake up."

joyce pulled her into a hug, "i'm so sorry. does it hurt?"
"yeah, it hurts."

"okay, i'm gonna go check on your brother again, you stay in here, and don't do anything crazy, alright?" joyce said, giving gwen one final hug before exiting the room

"so what's going on?" steve heard max ask gwen as he walked over to them at the table
"oh, nothing, really."