we dont talk enough , we should open up

|| i find myself running home
to your sweet nothings ||

careful joe." max said, catching joey by her arm as she tripped over her own two feet as they got onto the broke down bus, it was getting darker outside and they were ready.

"i'm nervous." joey said softly as she climbed up to the top of the bus, now her turn to keep look out since lucas came down, max following up after her

"you know, it's kinda awesome." max said quietly, spooking joey a little

"oh my god you scared me. but, what is?" the brunette asked, turning around and looking at max
"the fog, i mean. it looks like the ocean."
"you miss it?"
"what?"
"the ocean. the waves? california?"

max thiugh for a second, and joey continued her thought, "hawkins seems pretty lame, i bet."

"no, no, no, it's not that." max shook her head, "it's just..."

joey looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to continue what she was going to say
"my dads still there. so..."

"why?" joey asked, her face softening into one that would say 'i'm sorry'

"it's a legal term, called divorce." max told her, half joking, "see, when two married people don't love each other anymore-"

"yes max, i know what divorce is." joey said, the red head giggling softly at her, before continuing whay she was saying before

"my mom and my stepdad they wanted a fresh start away from him." she told joey, "as if.. as if he was rhe problem, which is total bull. and things.. are just worse now. my stepbrothers always been a dick. but now he's just angry.. all the time. and.. well he can't take it out on my mom, so.."
"so he takes it out on you?"

"i don't even know why i'm telling you this." she said, looking down in embarrassment, "it's just.. i know that i can be a jerk like him sometimes, and i do not want to be like him. ever. i guess i'm angry too, and.. i'm sorry."

"hey, you're absolutely nothing like your brother, okay?" joey told her, grabbing hold of her hand and squeezing it softly in reassurance, "i understand what you mean, about the being anger, and not wanting to be like your brother. i mean, not my brother though, i don't wanna be like my parents, especially my dad. he's sort of like how you described your brother, but he's very hidden about it. like if you just looked at him, and had a natural conversation with him you'd have absolutely no idea that he hits his kids. well, not really kids plural, just kid. steve doesn't really know about that, nobody does. but i trust you not to tell anybody."

"oh joey.." max said softly, looking deep into her eyes, which were sad looking, "nobody really understands fully how my brother is, so i guess you and i are kind of the same."

"we are, aren't we?" joey asked, "also, back to the anger thing, it's like sometimes it just comes over you, right? like you just have moments where you just want to yell, and to scream and you just wanna watch the world burn."

"yeah, exactly." max agreed, "thank you joe, for letting me talk to you, and for trusting me enough to tell me what you did."

"you're welcome, and also, you will never be like your brother, the difference is that unlike him, you realize ir when you're an asshole to people, and you care. and you're seriously just so cool, and hilarious, like i'm always laughing and smiling around you, and you're super smart. and you're also like really pretty

max went red, though joey couldn't see it in the darkness of the night, "you think i'm pretty?"
"well, yeah."
"i think you're pretty too, freak."
"really?"
"yeah, even if you are a total clutz who has a bruise on her eye from a broom all because she fell in a bucket in the guys gym locker room."
"stop, that was seriously just so embarrassing."