"locker room then roll call."

"oh, no. you need to present yourself to the captain first. its tradition." the darker skinned one said.

"down the hall, up the stairs." the other one said.

i looked them both up and down.

"do i look dumb to you? i may be a rookie but i'm not dumb. just because you both are higher ranked then me doesn't mean you can walk all over me. if you think punking someone who has no idea what there doing is funny, it not. it's pathetic that you have to prank someone who only just started."

i said and walked away to the locker room.

i heard the officers scoff behind me.

what did they expect? this isn't high school.

————————-————————-————————-

"alright, alright, settle down." Sargent grey said as he walked to the front of the room.

"so, okay, we got some new blood this morning. and some pushing the expiration date." he spoke as some laughter filled the room.

"get up." he said to which myself, and the other three rookies did.

"after six months together in the academy, you've earned the right to be here. but you'll have to prove yourself to stay. the way we do things matters. protocol and tradition are the metal from which every cop in this city is forged. understand?" he said

"yes sir." Nolan spoke. the rest of us nodded.

"sit down." he said as he walked back to the front.

"it's time to play the training officer match game. our contestants are...lucy chen, a hotshot who made her first arrest before clocking in for work. legacy jackson west, who broke all his dad's records at the academy. y/n Salvatore, who once stopped a robbery when she was still in the academy and has a very hard last name. and john nolan, who was born before disco died."

he spoke as some laughter filled the room again.

"and the winners are...officer Bradford, you get complicated last name. officer Lopez you get our legacy. officer Dante, you get our hot shot. leaving officer bishop to ride with the 40-year-old rookie. now, hear me. today is your first day. don't let it be your last. forget the academy and listen to your T.Os. they'll teach you the way it should be done. that's it." he said with a sigh and lightly hit the side of the podium.

everyone began to stand up to leave.

"all right. be safe out there. officer bishop, i need a word with your rook." he said again "yes sir" office bishop said.

which i realized was one of the women i told off earlier.

————————-————————-————————-

"so, why do you want to be a cop?" officer Bradford spoke as we drove down the rode.

"is that a trick question?" i asked and looked over at him.

"you want me to train you? i need to know why you're in this car." he said.

i sighed and thought for a second.

"i want to be able to give the people who need help, the help they deserve-" i spoke before being cut off by the car slamming on brakes

"i've been shot! where are you boot!" Bradford spoke as he looked over at me.

"what?" i said

"i'm bleeding to death. you have to call for help. where are you?" he said

"we're on 6745 main street. one half of a mile until we're on jane doe Avenue." i spoke effortlessly with small smirk.