Powergirl

Kate is down on her knees, her head to the ground to avoid inhaling smoke. She shuffles through the hallway, and halfway through, She spots a piece of sky blue cloth in the corner of a door. Pulling it out, Kate wraps it around her mouth and nose for extra protection.

Somewhere else in the apartment, the sound of collapsing wood and screams are heard. It sounds like it's coming from downstairs. Kate makes a beeline for the staircase, leaping off of her knees and running while still keeping her head low. She races down the stairs, and at its foot, Kate is greeted with two young boys, one hardly older than a toddler. The eldest is crushed under a pile of debris, while the younger one is scrambling in vain to free his brother, pulling off what little pieces of charred wood he could carry.

Kate silently strides as Kara Zor El suddenly appears, she heads to the boy and help his brother lift off the wooden boards covering his companion. Kate notices that both boys are coughing heavily, black smoke practically swirling up from their mouths. She lifts the two up and make for the fire escape window. But just as we make it down the hallway, the roof above them comes down, knocking out the floor by the escape. Kate turns around with the boys, and the first few coughs escape her as by breath becomes wheezy.

Her chest becomes heavy as Kate makes her way down the stairs. The building creaks and She turns her head up to see the wall above us come crashing down. Holding the two boys under her, Kate makes a run for it, although a large wooden board still hits her back, smashing into two before falling to the ground. The sting on her back from the falling projectile stays with her, compiled with her gasping and coughing until She makes it out the door.

Kate releases the two boys, and they scurry off into the streets, leaving her to collapse to the ground. But, just as her head is about to connect with the concrete steps, two hands catch her by the head. Kate's entire body is then shakingly lifted, as the two hands that can just easily handle her weight. Kate coughs up a fair amount of smoke before She manages to speak,

"Put me down...I...I can walk-"

"No, no, you've done enough. Let me carry you." Kara insists, her voice warm and comforting.

I smile at her, "You're gonna drop me."

"...I'll manage."

Kate looks back at the burning building, "Where are we going anyway?"

She sighs, "Your staying with me."