Ruined Birthday ended partnership

Luke and his mother, Jennifer Fox had just gotten done eating at the local pizza place. His mom had taken him since it was his birthday and because he loved pizza. He ordered an all topping pizza which had all the toppings that were available at the restaurant which costed an extra five bucks, but it was worth it. As they got in the car, his mom put the key in the ignition and started the car. Jennifer backed out of the parking space and drove out of the parking lot and away from the pizza place.

"So did you enjoy your pizza?" Mrs. Fox asked.

"Yes I did, it was delicious." Luke told his mother.

"Really? All those toppings combined?" His mother asked.

"Yep, it beat your Hawaiian style pizza." Luke said and chuckled.

"Whatever." His mom said, and smirked. "So where would you like to go next?"

"Hmm.." Luke said, smiling.

Mrs. Fox came to the red light of the intersection, she stopped. The light turned green and they turned left, but before they could get to the lane, some guy came speeding down the road was Killer Croc's pickup truck and crashed right into the Fox's car. The truck's front connected with Jennifer's door, sending the car flipping over twice until it came to a stop beside a streetlight.

"Oh my god! MOM LOOK OUT!" Luke screamed.

"What?" His mom asked and looked out her window. She saw the truck just as it was a foot a way from the car. She knew they would collide as there would be no time to get away.

"MOM!" Luke screamed again as the truck hit her side.

"LUKE!" Mrs. Fox screamed.

The car flipped twice and Luke could of swore he heard his mom cry out in pain, but he was sent into darkness before he could see what happened.

He awoke in the hospital a few hours later with a horrible pain on the side of his head.

"Oww...what happened?" Luke said aloud, unaware of anyone else in the room.

"You were in an accident, car crash to be exact. You banged the side of your head against the window, hit it pretty hard too. The side of your head got cut open, needed stitches, lost a lot of blood, broke your right leg and left arm and a few ribs, paramedics made it just in time." The doctor said.

"My mom, what about my mom?" Luke said, remembering that his mother was also in the car.

"Mr. Fox, I'm afraid your mother didn't make it." The doctor said.

"What?! No! You have to be joking, she can't be dead. She just can't." Luke said, tears streaming from eyes.

"Mr. Fox, I'm afraid she is. Four of her ribs broke, unfortunately one of the broken rib bones tore into one of her lungs. A lot of her blood ended up flowing into the tore lung and suffocated her from the inside. Its possible that she died within minutes of her lungs being tore. I am very sorry for your loss." The doctor said.

Luke was balling his eyes out now, he couldn't believe his mother was gone. He didn't understand why she had to be taken from him, especially on his birthday.

"We called your father and told him the news." The doctor said and then left the room.

After Luke spent five days in the hospital, he was taken back to his house. He told Kate to not bothering him as he was grieving, Kate understood and tried to be there for him whatever or whenever he needed her.