"No," she shook her head. "I... need to do this."

"'Kay..." he reluctantly accepted, but quickly added, "I am comin' in with you though."

"John, you don't have t–"

"I'm not arguin' about this, Elena, I'm coming in."

Before she could make any further comment, John was already opening the door and stepping out into the road. A whimper left her mouth, her hand a foreign entity as she, too, pushed the car door open. It wasn't even that hot out, but the sun felt like lasers burning right through every inch it touched. Sturdy trainers felt flimsy, the gravel beneath her feet as blatant as it could get.

She felt she was walking The Mile to her death.

"Hey..." John stopped her as they reached her floor, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder to turn her towards him. Their eyes met, and his stomach dropped at the fear looking back at him. My God, she's terrified... "It's gunna be alright, El. I promise."

"You shouldn't make promises you can't keep..." she mumbled, her foot moving to take another step.

"I mean it."

Looking back at him, she mustered up a grateful smile, and nodded slowly. "I know," she whispered.

The air was thick as they reached the door marked '13,' a feature she had once found excitement in—living in a flat with the same number as your birthday. Now, it just reeked of a hapless existence; a far cry from what used to be her sanctuary.

Do I knock? No, Elena, this is your home—oh, shit, it's locked. Where's that fucking spare key? She flipped over the doormat with her foot, expecting to see the familiar metal looking back up at her. Nothing. Fucking prick...

With bated breath, Elena lifted her hand and gave three experimental knocks to the door, each one ringing deeper and deeper through her ears. Please, don't be home... What am I talking about? I need to do this now, I keep wearing the same two outfits, you idiot...

She daren't look up as the door swung open. Instead, she fell eye-level with that stupid striped, skin-tight shirt that became a daily choice of clothing. In and out. Please. God, if you're up there, just let this be simple. Please...

John stood by, arms folded, as the door opened, revealing the man he hadn't seen since December. A tall fucker. Can't have been any shorter than six-foot-four. And there Elena stood, a measly five-foot-seven in comparison. Shaggy dirty-blonde hair that bordered on a light brown, straight and perched just below his jaw. Parted at the side. Twat.

"Elena," David sighed, instantly taking note of John's presence behind her. "Where the fuck have you been? I've been worried si–"

"I don't want to talk," she told him, as sternly as she could. "Just came to get my things..." Without looking him in the eye, she squeezed past him. He looked over at John, his green eyes calm, before they narrowed as he turned to follow Elena.

"What the fuck are you talking about, 'just came to get my things'?"

Elena sighed and spun to look at David, accidentally catching his eyes. The eyes that commanded her every move. Eyes she felt too worthless to meet. That's because you are.

The click of the door shutting reverberated through the room, drawing their attention like a sudden snap of a whip. John, his gaze fixed with unwavering determination, stood his ground, sending a slow nod of reassurance to Elena.

"Did I invite you in?" David's voice sliced through the tense silence, his words laced with thinly veiled hostility as he locked eyes with John.

"Nah, mate, you didn't," John replied with a nonchalant shrug, his gaze flickering past David to Elena. "I'll be here, go get your things, El."