T H I R T Y - T W O: You Are My Sunshine

15th June 1971

15th June 1971

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know just how much I love you, please don't take my sunshine away," Hope sang  in a whisper, stroking her son's hair.

"Mam, I don't want to do this anymore," A young Remus whispered. "I can't do it anymore.

"I know my sweet boy," Hope wiped away his tears.

Lyall walked into his son's bedroom.

"It's time, Hope." was all he said. 

"Mam, please," Remus begged, the tears streamed down his face.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, my sweet boy," Hope, kissed his forehead. "I wish I could change everything,"

It broke her heart every month, every month she would hear her son's cries behind the locked door, she would hear him beating against the chains, she would sing over the cries, hoping that he could hear her but when she asked him in the morning he always said he didn't.

16th June 1971

Remus picked at his food with the arm his mother had bandaged up. He refused to look at himself in the mirror.

He hated his reflection.

"Remus, please eat," Hope asked, as she sat beside him, she had his favourite book in her lap which she intended to read to him.

"I'm not hungry." he said, placing his fork down, he looked up at his mother. "Where's dad?"

"Work, he picked up an extra shift at the ministry,"

Remus rolled his eyes, his father was never home.

"I borrowed Charlie and the Chocolate factory again from the library," Hope said, holding up the book.

"Wouldn't it be best we buy it seeing as we read it all the time,"

"Nah," Hope shook her head. "I like seeing Ivory's face every month when I pick it up, also Shellie took it home with her last week, she's added in a few comments on how Charlie Bucket should live in a bucket to make it more fun."

"That doesn't make any sense," Remus furrowed her brows.

"Mmm, that's what I thought, anyway, shall I read?"

Remus made himself more comfortable, but of course that wasn't easy.

"'Welcome to the tale of a delicious adventure in a wonderful land. You can tell it will be delicious– can't you smell it already?'" Hope sniffed the air dramatically making Remus laugh. "'Oh how I love that smell!'"