chapter 46

Daemon practically skipped up onto the deck after Kaz, staying close on his heels as she always did. She nearly bumped into him a few times, but she was too happy to care.

"Saints! If it isn't our one and only Daemon! Back from the dead!" Jesper walked over with his arms out.

Daemon chuckled and jumped into his arms, eyes squeezing shut as she pushed her head into his chest. She was more than happy to see him and all her other crows. They had all gotten out nearly unscathed. None nearly as hurt as she was.

Jesper squeezed her tight, lifting her off her feet and spinning her around, "Good to see you up and about, my little foxy."

"Jesper," Kaz's tone was annoyed and warning.

Jesper rolled his eyes as he set her back down, "Ok, alright. I get it. You want her all to yourself."

"She's still recovering," Kaz pointed out, though he didn't deny the statement either.

Jesper backed up, "Oh, sorry about that, Dae. You're ok, right?"

Daemon nodded with a big smile, "I'm alright! All healed thanks to Nina!"

"Speaking of, does Nina know you're awake?" Jesper asked.

"No," Daemon answered hesitantly, glancing over her shoulder at Kaz.

"It doesn't matter. We're busy. Come on," Kaz gently nudged her onward.

He led her over to the forecastle deck, hovering close behind her in case she suddenly felt weak or tripped. She could be clumsy when distracted. And as he noticed her looking out at the ocean waves in awe, he knew she definitely was.

Jesper had followed just behind them like a curious little duck, "So, what now, Kaz?"

"Now, I need to hold a meeting. Get the others. Matthias, too."

"I can get Nina!" Daemon volunteered, wanting a chance to thank her friend and give her a big hug.

"She's sleeping in a spare room below deck."

Daemon paused, "Oh...nevermind then! We should let her sleep!"

"She needs to know this information too."

"But she's tired. She spent all that time watching over me, right? Come on, Kaz! I'll catch her up later. Please?" Daemon pleaded, a small pout on her face as she really tried to convince him.

Kaz sighed, "Fine. Jesper, tell Wylan to bring the Ice Court plans with him. And be discreet."

Jesper gave a sarcastic salute, "You've got it, boss."

Daemon followed after Kaz as he stalked forward with long strides over to a table. He seemed impatient, face contorted into annoyance. But it didn't intimidate her in the slightest, it made her curious. She copied his expression, staring in the same direction he was to see if she could tell what he was thinking. She had tried this time and time again and it had never worked, but it had become a habit nonetheless.

The only thought that came to her was that she was a little hungry and her abdomen was incredibly sore after being stabbed.

"Daemon," Kaz suddenly cut her from her thoughts, "What are you doing?"

Daemon straightened up and looked at him innocently, "Nothing."

"Nothing?"

Daemon shook her head, "Nothing."

"You were copying my face again. Do you always do that?"

Daemon hesitated for a moment, her signing slow and unsure, "No?"