chapter 4

Italics - Sign Language

The first thing Daemon laid eyes on when Dreesen led them into the room was a figure hunched over in a chair with a bag over their head. The heavy smell of blood hit Daemon like a brick. Blood and sweat and fear. Fear had a particular smell that Daemon was familiar with.

"Who's this?" Kaz asked.

Dreesen walked over to the chair, "So you don't know everything after all."

They all gave him deadpan looks.

Dreesen pulled the bag off the young man's head, "This is Alexei Stepanov. Two weeks ago, young Alexei here crossed through the Fold on foot. Alone."

Alexei was covered in dirt and blood. He'd obviously had a rough past few weeks. His eyes only showed panic and confusion. Daemon knew in the back of her head that this man wouldn't be walking out of here alive. He had information. Good information. And as soon as he gave it out, he'd be useless. And if you had no use, you were as good as dead here.

"How?" Inej inquired.

"They're keeping it quiet, but allegedly he was one of a few witnesses to...an event," Dreesen said cryptically, pouring himself a glass of water.

"Water," Alexei pleaded with a scratchy voice.

Daemon almost felt bad for him. Almost. But her lack of memory and years of endured abuse in slavery had hardened her greatly. She glanced around at her companions. The only one who showed any sympathy was Inej.

Inej walked over to the table and poured a glass of water for Alexei. She quickly knelt by the man and gave him some water.

"What kind of event?" Kaz asked.

"I know an expedition was swarmed by volcra. Should've been a total loss, but something happened. Some device detonated. Obliterated the volcra, lit up the dark like a forest fire. I know it wasn't a fire or else no one would have survived. This was some invention no one had seen before. He knows. But he doesn't seem to be able to articulate his account of events. Some form of traumatic lapse. So..." Dreesen gestured to the Heartrender.

Kaz nodded to the woman who took Inej's place kneeling in front of Alexei. She caressed his face gently, whispering comfort to him. Daemon tilted her head at the action. Flashes of a woman grabbing her face harshly entered her mind. Screams. Glass breaking. A voice telling her that she was useless. But it all exited her mind as quick as it came.

It wasn't unusual for Daemon to get flashbacks from her time in slavery. She didn't remember much and she supposed it was her mind's way of protecting her, but some things came up more than others.

Daemon rolled her shoulders back in her discomfort and Kaz's cane once again bumped against her foot while Jesper took a step closer to her right side, brushing his shoulder with hers. Daemon felt a warmth in her chest at their actions. They always noticed. Always.

"Now you can just speak, and I will just listen," the Heartrender spoke smoothly.

Alexei was noticeably more calm now, "All right."

"Tell me what happened in the Fold. What saved you?"

"You won't believe me, but...it was a Sun Summoner."

Inej gasped lowly and grabbed Daemon's hand. Daemon squeezed her hand twice, signaling to Inej that she had heard the same thing. Daemon didn't think she was religious. She didn't believe in much. But she believed in Inej. So when Inej told her stories of Saints and the like, Daemon believed in Inej's belief. So, she would never say that Saints weren't real or that the Sun Summoner was fake.