Roses Are Red (End)

Start from the beginning

    ***

   Later that evening, Kokichi and Himiko were sitting on the benches underneath the gazebo. Kokichi had prepared a dinner for her and even arranged for Kaede to play some soft, romantic piano music for them. Himiko, however, was too preoccupied with trying to expose her "secret admirer." She kept jerking her head around to see if he was hiding in any bushes, or in the trees. 

   "Himiko...what are you doing?" Kokichi asked. Himiko turned to him. 

    "Kokichi...I have to tell you something important," Himiko said. "Our relationship is on the line!" Kokichi raised his brow curiously.

   "Oh?" he responded. "How so?" Himiko leaned forward and lowered her voice.

   "Someone is trying to wreck our relationship," she whispered. Kokichi stared at her in confusion, at first. But then, a sly grin grew on his face as he suddenly realized where Himiko was going.

   "Why do you think that?" he asked. Himiko was surprised at his reaction, but she continued explaining.

   "Yesterday, I got a poem from a 'secret admirer,'" she said. "I don't know who it is, but they're definitely trying to get me to like them!"

   "I see," Kokichi said, standing up. He walked over to Himiko and sat down next to her as he began to caress her hair. "Did the poem go like this: 

   'Roses are red, but they can't compare

   To the velvety beauty of your red hair.

   Violets are blue, but not as profound

   As the blue that I feel when you're not around.

   Roses are red, violets are blue

   But none of that matters...because I have you?'"

   "Nyeh...you...you..." Himiko stammered, staring at him in shock. Kokichi grinned flirtatiously at her.

   "And...does this sound familiar, too: 

   'My dear, beloved Himiko,

   Nothing could prepare me for this longing that I feel

    To tell you how much my love for you is real

    The day I met you, I was met with a sweet surprise

    When I first gazed into your caramel brown eyes.

    The day I'll be happy is when I have you in my arms

    And to be forever enamored by your bewitching charm.

   Forever bound by your enchanting spell

    You lifted me up from the moment I fell.

    I love you, my darling, and that's no trick.

   Every moment I spend with you is like magic.

   I'll never, ever forget you for the rest of my life.

   You have stolen my heart...I sincerely hope you're satisfied?'"

   "That was you?! " Himiko gasped as tears welled up in her eyes, remembering the very first poem her "secret admirer" had sent her. 

    "Mm-hmm," Kokichi replied, gazing lovingly into Himiko's eyes. Himiko felt her heart soar as she threw her arms around him.

   "So, it's true!" she exclaimed. "You were my secret admirer the whole time!"

   "Nee-heehee...I'm really surprised you didn't know that, Himiko!" Kokichi admitted. "I thought you would have figured that out by now!"

   "If you thought I already knew that, why did you send me a secret admirer letter yesterday and this morning?" Himiko asked, wiping her tears. "Why didn't you just use your name?"

   "Well...cuz I thought it was romantic," Kokichi replied with a shrug. "I've always liked the idea of secret admirers, even when you already know who it is. And I like playing the role of the secret admirer."

   "Ohh..." Himiko replied softly. Suddenly, more tears appeared in her eyes. Guilty ones. "Kokichi...all those letters, and even that dress you gave me, I tore them all up. I'm so sorry!" 

   "Ahh...so that's why you're wearing all that," Kokichi said, gesturing to Himiko's sweat clothes.

   "I didn't wanna look appealing, in case the secret admirer was another guy trying to ruin our relationship," Himiko muttered forlornly. "But, your surprise is ruined all because of me."

   "You know, I think this is way better!" Kokichi said. Himiko looked at him in surprise. 

   "R-Really?" she asked.

   "Yeah!" Kokichi said. "I'm glad you tore those poems and dress, especially since you thought they were from someone else. It just shows me that you're really committed to our relationship.  I really appreciate that, Himiko." He smiled at her. Himiko blushed. "And you know what else?"

   "What?" Himiko asked shyly.

   "I told you you didn't have to give me anything special for Valentine's Day," Kokichi said. "You had already given something special to me the moment we met!"

   "Nyeh? What did I give you?" Himiko asked. Kokichi kissed the back of Himiko's hand.

   "Your heart," he replied. "And I was happy to have mine stolen." He winked at her, causing her to blush. Then, he leaned forward to give her a tender kiss. "Happy Valentine's Day, Himiko."

   "Happy Valentine's Day, Kokichi," Himiko replied.