05 | Journeying to Dorn

Everything else that happened that night was a blur. Emilie had been concerned when Lord Kiernan publicly announced that they were engaged.

"You don't even know the man," Emilie had said, taking Ilaria's hands tightly into her own. "Not an hour ago, you nearly had a panic attack in the corner because you had merely touched hands. I don't understand what is going on."

"I know. I know it doesn't make any sense," Ilaria had whispered with a tight smile. "I need you to trust me, though. I know what I'm doing. I am safe. I promise."

In contrast, her grandmother could barely contain her excitement. That's where Ilaria stood now. In her grandmother's home with her packed suitcases around her, saying goodbye to Lady Dahlia.

"Oh, I told you! Didn't I tell you?" The old woman clapped her hands together, bustling about the room as she prattled on about how it had all been her idea.

Ilaria could barely stop herself from rolling her eyes, but a smile was working its way onto her face. "Grandmother."

"Oh, and I'm just so sure the wedding will be beautiful. I will miss you, of course, dear. This is just so exciting! Oh, my nerves. My nerves!"

"Grandmother!" Ilaria placed her hands on her hips, eyebrows lifted as she stared at Lady Dahlia. Her and her nerves. The One save them if her nerves ever actually did act up.

The old woman stopped her rambling to turn to her. "Yes, dear?"

Ilaria chuckled, extending her arms for a hug. "I must be going. The carriage is waiting for me outside."

"Oh, yes. Yes. Of course." Lady Dahlia pulled her into a ginger hug, patting her back as one would a friend, then pulled away and fixed any wrinkles in her dress. "We mustn't keep you."

Mother. Her eyes drifted to the living room, where the sound of a rocking chair creaking back and forth emitted from. "Should I tell her I'm leaving?"

Sympathy softened Lady Dahlia's eyes. "My dear, I am not even sure she would notice."

Her heart twisted. Of course, she knew that. Her mother barely took notice of anything now. What she would give to have her mother engage in a meaningful conversation one more time. She flexed her jaw. It wouldn't be like that for much longer. Once the deal was complete, everything would return to how it used to be. Come hell or high water, Ilaria would see to that.

Giving her grandmother one final goodbye, she picked up her bags and headed out to the carriage. It was a beastly thing that stuck out on the noble streets like a sore thumb. It was black and glossy with golden trim lining the frame. On the door was an emblem of a red tree, branches lifting high and extending toward five stars. Four black horses waited patiently to pull it, and the coach master bowed respectfully to her as she descended the stairs.

"Good afternoon, my lady!" The man greeted her with a broad smile, hand pressed to his chest. "I'm Joey, and I will be accompanying you on this journey to Dorn. What do I have the pleasure of calling you?"

She returned his smile. Maybe this journey wouldn't be so bad. "Ilaria. You can call me Ilaria."

Joey took her bags from her hands and strapped them to the carriage. "Ilaria! That's a pretty name. Right pretty. Does it mean anything?"

"It means cheerful," she said with a grin, watching him as he tightened down the straps.

He paused what he was doing to take a good look at her, comically squinting his eyes. He seemed to decide on something, nodding as he climbed down to open the carriage door for her. "It suits you."