"This isn't good. What happened?"

"I have a bruised spine and my vocal cords are damaged." She said quietly, to minimize the amount of pain.

"Jeez." He winced.

"It's fine. I'm fine. How are you? How's your bite?"

"No. They should not be able to get away with this. I get not wanting the Hunger Games to happen but they shouldn't harm innocent people. You've been nothing but kind to me this entire time." He boomed.

Caroline placed her hand on his face, cupping the side of it. She could sense him beginning to get angry, and that was not something she needed right before the start of the Games.

"Jessup, calm down. All that matters is that we both made it out alive. Let's just hope for the best tomorrow." She replied in a gentle tone.

"Fine," He grumbled, "You should go, your partner's staring at us like he's about to kill me."

Caroline turned her head to see Coriolanus staring straight at them with a scowl resting on his features. She sighed to herself, rolling her eyes as she turned back to Jessup.

"I'm sorry about him. I should probably go deal with that, but, good luck, Jessup. I'm rooting for you. I believe you can win, you're strong enough."

In a surprising moment, Caroline witnessed a smile gently forming on his lips. It marked a milestone in their interactions, as it was the most they had ever exchanged. The unexpected smile made it feel like her luck had taken a delightful turn.

"Thanks, Caroline. You have been a great mentor, I'm glad it was you rather than anyone else." Jessup thanked.

The girl only smiled at him before walking off towards Coriolanus, who had been standing a great distance away from the two. She assumed he'd been waiting for her after he spoke to Lucy Gray.

As she got closer, she noticed the evident eye bags under his eyes, and the beads of sweat resting on his face, he looked terrible.

Resisting the urge to rush towards him, she battled the overwhelming instinct to inspect every single wound on his body, ensuring his well-being.

"Caroline," He breathed as he took in the state she resided in. He brought her out of the line of vision of the tributes, initiating privacy for the two of them.

Concern etched across his face as he reached to hold her face and study her cuts, but Caroline backed away from him.

"Don't." She croaked.

His eyes crinkled, posture now stiff, "What?"

Suddenly, the air hung heavy with tension. Darkness elongated in the sky, the bright stars beginning to appear.

"Do not touch me."

"Why is everything different with you every day? We were just fine three days ago." He questioned.

"I risked my life for you, and all you care about is your little songbird." She hissed.

Coriolanus scoffed, letting out a frustrated chuckle, "As if you don't do the same thing. You two hold each other and care for one another like lovers. It's gross."

"I'm sorry I care for my tribute. They don't deserve to be treated like shit just because their name was pulled out of a bowl."

Her mind wandered to how the nurse would react to the amount of words she was exchanging. With the vocal injury she'd sustained, she was ordered not to speak unless she had to. Clearly, God had other plans for her.

"I care for Lucy Gray because I have to. There's no time for distractions, I keep my eyes on the prize."

"Obviously not," She grumbled.