3: Dungeon Experience

Start from the beginning

He gave me his number. I don't know if I'll ever want to contact him. On the plus side, I've got a potential S-Rank hunter in my contact list. Never thought that'd happen in my life. That thought sent shivers down my spine, knowing that a potential S-Ranker is continually stalking me and pretty much told me to my face that he'll keep doing it. He doesn't actually need my number. What am I supposed to do? How do I cut this weed off me?

—————/ Rimuru POV /—————

I got his number. He was still pretty nervous around me, so I just told him that he can contact me when he needs me. Though, it's probably weird of me to say that when he doesn't actually know what I'm capable of in combat.

I've almost forgot but Ciel reminded me to go to the Hunter's Association to get an ID card. There were a lot of classes like healers, fighters, mages, assassins, tanks, rangers. A broad variety with different strengths and weaknesses. I can classify as any of them, but Ciel suggested to identify me as a fighter since I mainly fight using a sword, so I used my sword in the evaluation and faked my rank with the help of Ciel.

I took a good look at it. The 'International Hunter License'. I suppose the investigators were incredibly sceptical of me as they had some questions like if I was really from Japan, the origin of my blue hair, whether I was a monster and all that stuff. I tried answering without suspicion but I don't think the uneasiness waned.

I'm now walking in the streets of South Korea. I wonder what I'm supposed to do, also I don't have a place to stay so I'm technically... homeless... despite being a king in another world.

Ciel: 'I have generated a plan for master to earn money.'

Rimuru: 'You did? Great! Let's hear it.'

Ciel: 'Master could join a party of hunters to traverse a dungeon. You can find details of this on your mobile device.'

I grab my phone and started looking up some jobs that require a hunter in their party. My eyes stop at a job that seems out of the ordinary.

An exorbitant amount of money just to fulfil the required number of party members for a C-Rank dungeon? This has suspiciousness plastered all over it. I contact the offerer and he asks what rank I am, which I respond with C-Rank, and he tells me that the position was filled a moment ago. Ciel tells me to add that I'm a healer, and that did the trick as he told me to come tomorrow.

—————/ Jinwoo POV /—————

Five C-Ranks, four lower than D-Rank. I look at the contract Hwang Dong-suk provided and skim through it. A D-Rank greets me, introducing himself as Yoo Jin-ho. He's got an absurd amount of flashiness to him that you don't normally see on other hunters. He must be from a wealthy family.

Jinwoo: "Then what should I do?"

Dongsuk: "Nothing much, just follow us and take care of our baggage."

Jinwoo: "Are we going without a healer?"

Dongsuk: "We hired a healer who should be arriving shortly. Besides, we always did it without a healer."

An attack force comprised of only tanks and damage-dealers. Makes it a bit hard to accept the contract.

Rimuru: "I'm here!"

I think my eyes rolled out when I heard that. I turned slowly like a sloth and saw that blue-haired stalker talking to Hwang Dongsuk. He was wearing what looks like a dark blue coat with gold accents and black pants. He had a leather belt over his coat and covered himself with another dark blue trench coat, collar up.

Rimuru: "Sorry I was late! I had some things to take care of."

Don't tell me, I'm not the only one he's stalking. Is he some kind of assassin or spy? There's no way that he's just a healer. Now I'm certain, there's definitely something fishy here.

We prepare to enter the dungeon. Jinho reassures that he'll protect me with a flashy smile. I look at Rimuru and he gives a warm smile as he starts to walk towards me. He really looks like a girl to be honest.

Rimuru: "Didn't think you would be here Jinwoo."

Jinwoo: "Well, it's a big payout and for a meagre task, who wouldn't want to? So what about you?"

Rimuru: "To tell you the truth, I have my suspicions about this attack force. Don't you think it's weird how they had to call on others if they do this 'all the time'?"

He's right. Even though he's a stalker, he's a smart stalker. Though I would've arrived at the same conclusion but a bit later.

Jinwoo: "Yeah, I think this is odd too, so what do you think happened to the ones that they hired previously?"

Rimuru: "...... It's very likely they were killed..."

I don't say anything. I look towards Dongsuk and his party members. They seem to be close. It would make sense for some greedy hunters to resort to killing others so they won't have to share their profits. I look at Jinho. He doesn't seem to be aware of it, innocently preparing his own equipment. His sword glowing bright, his shield a sparkling trinket, armor glistening like a sweaty body. I don't want to stand too close to him.

The gate we were about to enter was big, bigger than any other dungeon I've been to, considering I've only been to E and D-Rank dungeons. Jinho asked if this is abnormal, but I explained that the size doesn't determine how dangerous it is, the magic power is how the association measures dungeon ranks.

We enter the dungeon gate and appear in a dark cave with multiple tunnels heading into multiple directions. It was different than the other dungeons I've been to because they weren't any luminous stones.

Rimuru shook a little when I mentioned 'luminous stones'. I wonder why?

Jinho: "Are there dungeons with no monsters?"

I shush him up and listen to the clicking sounds in the dungeon. Click. Click. Click. Click. Tiny little steps, heading in packs towards light.

Jinwoo: "It's insect-type monsters!"

The group gets into formation, everyone facing outwards at the numerous tunnels. I keep listening as they yell and start to panic.

Chul-Jin: "There are too many tunnels!"

Dongsuk: "Can you see anything?!"

Kyuhwan: "I can't see anything!"

Jinwoo: "Above!!"

Everyone's heads look up as they see the crawling critters skittering towards us. A swarm of ant-like creatures. Kyuhwan fires a blast of energy upwards, rupturing the tunnel and forcing the ants down onto the ground. As they fall, Dongsuk activates a skill that draws all the ants to him. Jin-Seok and Kyuhwan both fire at the ants from behind him whilst the rest of the team dispatched the other ants running at their flank.

Their teamwork is exceptional. I then look at Rimuru. He told everyone that he was a healer, but he was silently cutting down each of the ants in one swoop as if he was dancing. He glides from side to side, doing all sorts of acrobatics, flying about letting not a single ant touch him. His swordsmanship is like a work of art. This reinforces my belief that he can beat me handily, and that he probably lied about his class.

Jinho isn't doing too bad either. What he lacks in skill he makes up for it with his equipment which slices through the ants like butter.

An ant tries approaching me from behind and I  kick it away, lobbing off its head instantly. Rimuru's probably the only one who noticed that but whatever. He knows everything.

I think back to what he said earlier. These guys. They're seriously considering trying to kill us? That would be the biggest mistake they'd ever make.