Bag Of Bones - Mitski

Lucifer◇

I stepped back from Charlie

"Alright. I can get you the meeting with heaven.. but once you're there... I won't be able to come with you.. will you be alright?"

Charlie nodded and suggested I stay at the hotel until she returns. I reluctantly agreed. I knew that I wasn't the best father. I had never really been there for her. But now I would be.. the hairs on the back of my neck stood as Alastor led me to my temporary room.

"Thank you, Alastor. I will.. see myself into my OWN room. WITHOUT you. Haha!"

I grinned as his permanent smile strained, and he laughed back before turning and walking down to the lobby. I walked into the room and softly smiled as I looked up at a portrait of my family. My trembling fingers brushed over the taller woman's features, and I felt my eyes begin to burn with unshed tears. Her smile, her lips, her eyes. I missed her. I missed Lilith dearly. My reason to live had left. It was a struggle to live without her presence.. Lilith would be so proud of our darling girl for pursuing her dreams.. each day I forgot something about her. Her smell had long disappeared from my memories. I clenched my fist and turned away. I refused to let myself hate her. So, instead, I will hate myself. For not being the husband and father she needed me to be. I was pulled out of my thoughts by a hand gently grasping my shoulder. I set my hand on top of their hand and sighed.

"Not now, Charlie.."

I turned to face them only to be met with that infuriating grin.

~Alastor~

I was walking back to my room after talking with the others in the hotel lobby when I heard soft sobs. It was not unusual to hear sobs in the hotel. Normally, they came from Angel's room at night. I stopped in front of Lucifer's door. I knocked, but no response came. I took a deep breath before I pushed open the door to find the king staring up at a portrait of the royal family. His family. I reluctantly stepped forward as my ears pinned back. I was not one to comfort others. But his tears made me unreasonably upset. I set my hand on his shoulder, and he looked up at me after mistaking me for his daughter.

"You are never fully dressed without a smile, your majesty. You, of all sinners and demons, should know that best."

The short man slowly nodded and smiled. I watched how the corners of his eyes crinkled. He smelled strongly of spiced apple cider and wood smoke. It was a sickeningly addictive smell that I hadn't noticed before.

"Thank you, Alastor."

"Of course, sir."

A moment of awkward silence passed before I realized that I hadn't removed my hand from his shoulder. I quickly pulled my hand away and wiped it on my overcoat.

"Well! I am going to go to the kitchen to make a big ol' pot of jambalaya! You... are.."

I groaned at the thought of inviting him of all people.

"You are welcome to join us for dinner."

The shorter man nodded in a quiet thanks. I turned and left. Gently closing the door behind me and walking down the corridor towards the kitchen.