05

A siren blared in the hallway, and my phone buzzed

A siren blared in the hallway, and my phone buzzed. I glanced at my phone to find a countdown. Jumping off the bed, I went to check the commotion outside. Eun-ha was accusing Heo-yul, pointing and saying, "I bet he got all the votes, you made this anyway."

"What did I do?" he defensively replied, "Besides, why did you vote for me? Don't make this so boring," he complained to everyone. Another siren wailed from the speaker, followed by an announcement.

"HEO YUL WITH THE MOST VOTES, 24 VOTES WILL BE EXECUTED."

After the announcement, Heo-yul clutched his head, acting like he had a headache. But everyone just laughed at him, thinking it was all an act. Something felt off, Heo-yul was too dumb to create something like this.

Thinking he was faking it, the crowd laughed, urging him to cut the act. Worried, I approached Heo-yul, but he suddenly stopped, making me freeze. He turned to face us, his eyes ghostly white.

I took a step back, feeling unsettled, and accidentally bumped into someone. I didn't care who it was, I was worried about Heo-yul. I reached out to him and grabbed his shoulder. "Heo-yul, snap out of this. It's not funny anymore," I pleaded. But he just pushed me, and I hit the wall hard.

"Ouch, that hurts like hell," I complained. Jun-hee, who was nearby, helped me stand up. I thanked him and was about to go back to Heo-yul when he started something horrifying.

He began banging his head on the tile floor, blood pooling around him. Everyone screamed for him to stop, the hallway echoed with the chaos. Desperate to stop him, I tried to break free from Jun-hee's grip, but he held me firmly.

"Heo-yul, please stop! Stop!" I pleaded as he continued his self-inflicted harm. Suddenly, he halted, and I sighed in relief, thinking it was over.

But then he ran towards us and smashed his head into the painting beside us. I froze, not knowing how to react. He did the same to the painting on the opposite wall, stumbling but still standing.

"Yul, stop this!" I shouted, but he ignored me, running towards our gathered classmates. Panicked, everyone stepped aside. Heo-yul kept running and jumped onto the glass window, out of the building. I dropped to my knees, screaming, "HEO-YUL!"

Everyone was shocked. Another siren echoed in the hallway.

"HEO-YUL WAS A CITIZEN," the speaker announced. "Citizen?" I thought. Were we playing a literal mafia game? Confused and still on my knees, I breathed heavily. Jun-hee was beside me, guiding me through my breathing. Suddenly, a lullaby played, and everyone dropped dead asleep.

 Suddenly, a lullaby played, and everyone dropped dead asleep