ii. sunken grady-white

"what she order , fish fillet ?"

--

what a surprise , even after a hurricane , figure eight looks perfect. rich people and their generators. all they got was a couple fallen trees , but back on the cut , people's houses came down. kie had invited me to go fishing with everyone , so i decided to come along. i'm wearing my favourite bikini , and i must've layered on about ten swipes of sunscreen.

i make my way over to their boat and wave at everyone. jj looks up and smiles. "mornin' , ella."

i smile. "morning , jj."

"ready to go fishing ?" he asks.

i laugh. "ready as i'll ever be."

we pulled up to pick up kie. she jumps in the boat , carrying an icebox.

"whatcha got ?" pope asks.

she giggles innocently. "oh , you know , just some yogurts and carrot sticks."

jj winks. "what about my kind of juice box ?

"yeah , i think we might have some of those too." she hands him a beer , and offers one to everyone else.

"luella , beer ?" she smiles.

i'm about to take one , until jj speaks up. "nah , she's too innocent."

i take a beer and flick the cap off , clear that i've done it many times before. "too innocent , huh ? hm."

he shrugs. "alright , philly. my mistake."

jj eyes widen , as if he has an idea. "wanna see a party trick ?"

i nod , wondering what it was , but everyone else groans.

"not again." kie says.

jj ignores her. "hey , pope , can you go a little faster ? i'm trying to show off here."

pope speeds up. "here we go , i'm moving."

john b shakes his head. "it never works , bro. just give up now."

jj stands at the front of the boat , trying to drink his beer , but , of course , it just splatters back in his face. we all laugh , until the beer starts getting on us.

"ew , that went in my hair." kie says.

i laugh. "me too !"

"oh my god !" pope exclaims.

the boat suddenly stops , and we all get thrown back. but it's the worst for jj. he goes flying into the water. we all stand up , shocked.

"jesus , pope." kie groans.

"shit , jj went under." i say.

we stare at the water , waiting for him to emerge , but no one comes. we all lean over the boat , and finally , we hear jj. "i think my heels touched the back of my head."

we all groan a sigh of relief. "jj , what the fuck ? you scared the shit out of me."

he grins. "i knew you cared about me."

i try not to smile. "whatever. just wanted to make sure you didn't drink up all the water down there."

"pope , what the fuck did you do ?" kie groans.

"sandbar. the channel changed." he says.

"no shit. hey , saved the beer though." jj raises his beer , victorious.

"congrats." i say , rolling my eyes.

pope looks down , shocked. "guys. i think there's a boat down there."