2- Secrets from the past

Alden and Hershel set off early the next morning. Alden still missed Hilltop, and the people they left behind there. But the old place was something they rarely talked about and today it would also not be discussed. They could've chosen to take one of the cars today, New Babylon provided them with more than enough fuel. However, Alden had learned to love the slower pace of life and wasn't planning on breaking away from it.

"I hoped we'd take one of the cars today. I want to learn how to drive," Hershel said as he shifted uncomfortably in his saddle. He did not share his sister's love for horses.

"This is quieter," Alden replied. "I want to spend the day fishing, not taking out walkers."

"Do you ever think about the people they used to be?" Hershel asked. "Someone's son, brother, family or friend."

"I did in the beginning. When I barely understood what was going on I thought they were sick, that there was a way to help them. Once I realized they were dead, that stopped."

"I never thought of them as human when I was younger," he admitted. "They were never people to me. Now that I'm older and understand, I can't stop thinking about the people they used to be. I just feel sorry for them, it's sad."

"If it helps; the people they were. they're really gone. They're not the people they used to be. They're shells for something different."

"That helps actually."

Alden and Hershel continued on their way till they came to a slow moving part of a broad river. Hershel was sure that the river had a name, but he didn't care and it didn't matter. All the way at the horizon a bridge spanned across the river. It looked well maintained, probably at the courtesy of New Babylon. The next unnatural thing Hershel noticed was the dead hedge. If he stood beside it it would come up till halfway his chest and it was about as wide as it was high. A rather effective way to keep walkers out. Within the fenced area stood a single small cottage that was clearly built quite recently.

"Is that what you built a couple months ago?" Hershel asked. "That secret project you worked on all on your own."

Alden dismounted his horse and led it through the makeshift gate in the dead hedge. "Yes. This fishing spot is a two hour ride away from home. Sometimes it's better to stay overnight. The dead edge also serves to protect the horses as long as we're here."

"Or we could've used a car," Hershel shot back as he dismounted his horse and led him inside. "I suppose there are no roads nearby, though. I guess somewhere near the bridge is the closest, but that's still quite a walk."

They got the horses settled and carried the saddles into the cottage to store for the day. It was rather empty inside. Hershel quickly noticed there were five beds inside and an uneasy feeling crept up on him.

"Dad?" his voice was soft, but alarmed. He couldn't take his eyes off those beds, it gave him a sick feeling. "There's five beds here. That's for the five of us, right? I know better than to think that's a coincidence."

There was a twin over full bunk bed on one side and another bunk bed on the far end of the cottage. Hershel knew the answer to his question, even if Alden refused to answer it. This place was his family's failsafe. His father had already prepared them for the next horrible thing to happen, further proving that it was only a matter of time before something horrible would happen again.

"Oh, come on, sometimes we have up to six people fishing out here. There's almost more fish than water these days," Alden replied without looking at him. He said it too nonchalantly, too careless. Hershel was sure it was forced.

"You didn't just build it for fishing trips. You're afraid something is going to go wrong. Don't keep me in the dark, I'm not a child anymore! This is your failsafe for us, isn't it?" he was raging now. "Do you want to leave everyone behind when the wind turns the wrong way?"