fifty-four; moving out

Start from the beginning

I gulp. My blood turning cold. I glance back at his purple knuckles again and I can only imagine who would be on the receiving end of those. I told him not to, not because I care for Henry but because I don't want Nate to live with that on his conscience.

My legs take me towards him subconsciously. I grip his arm and tug him towards me before he enters the bathroom. "Did you kill him?"

Nate glances down at me with those chocolate eyes full of all the sins he's committed. "Do you want to know?"

"Yes." My chest heaves. I want to know. I have to know.

I feel my fingers tremble as he watches me for long moments, seconds feel like hours and before he even says anything, I know the answer. He did it. He couldn't stand the thought of him being alive because he tried to kill me.

"Then yes," he rasps. "He's gone."

My shoulders droop but not ones of relief. "Nate–"

"I had to," he shakes his head. "And before you ask, I had no remorse. He deserved to die, he tried to take you away from me and I'd never chance that again. Never."

His hands wrap around my jaw and tugs me towards him. I tremble. We've both killed wolves before that's a given but this is different, he went out of his way to take his life from him. "He won't bother you again," he whispers against my lips. "You are my main priority and I will never let anyone hurt you ever again."

My heart pulsates heavily inside my chest at his words. "I know," I nod. "I know you won't."

Our lips are pressed against one another in a soft kiss and I melt in his arms. Despite the news, I can't help but be in awe of this man who will go to the ends of the earth to protect me.

"My beast came free," he lowers his head, voice sitting on his chest. "I didn't mean for it to come out but I couldn't stop it. I wasn't in control."

I gulp silently. I haven't seen or encountered Nate's beast but by the sounds of things, it's deadly. "Are you okay now?" I ask, gripping onto his arms gently.

He nods. "Yeah," he whispers. "I just need to cool down."

"Go take a shower," I say, dropping my hands from him. "I've been moving my stuff in."

Nate glances around the room, as if he missed it when he first moved in. But he was distracted, thoughts elsewhere. He notices my suitcase and the drawers that are now half full. A small smile develops on his perfect face. "That makes me happy," he nods boldly.

"You make me happy," I whisper before planting a kiss on his cheek.

His eyes flash at me, he leans forward and presses his lips to mine again. "Good, that's the way it should be."

I've been planning our date for a few days now. I didn't find it fitting to go on one when Nate had literally murdered Henry. I waited until he calmed down, until we both started to get used to us sharing his room together.

"Are you ready?" I ask as we leave the house.

Nate hums eagerly beside me. "Where are we going?"

"We're going to be humans for the day."

"Humans?" Nate's brow flexes with curiosity.

I take his hand as we walk towards town. I've needed this, to get out. Some fresh air. Spending time with my mate. The last few weeks have been hell and I don't really think I've come to terms with what happened.

Layla believes I could be in denial. I know I am because I shouldn't be acting this normal.

But deep down I think it has something to do with the mate bond. Helping me heal, recover and give me that push of support that I need. Without Nate I'd be nothing but a sack of broken bones and a weeping heart.

As we reach town I begin to unlock the public bikes from the railings. Nate stops beside me. "We're taking bikes?"

I glance up at him, lips forming a smirk. "Don't tell me you don't know how to ride?"

He scoffs and begins to help me get the chains off one of the bikes. "Of course I do," he shakes his head. "I'm a pro."

"I'll believe it when I see it."

Nate's dark eyes cut over to me, a glimmer of playfulness in them. I love seeing him like this, I love seeing us like this. Free. God, that word. Free. I feel so fucking free with him and I want to feel like this for the rest of my existence.

We both hop on a separate bike and begin to cycle through town. The sun shines down on us, dodging through the clouds and the trees. I glance up and smile–a perfect day for a perfect date.

I spot a pretty little river in the distance, cycling over a bridge to be beside it. We both slow down and I turn to look at my mate. "You can ride a bike," I comment with a small laugh.

He rolls his eyes. "I wasn't lying."

"I want ice cream," I murmur, spotting a little shop in the distance.

Nate follows my eyes and nods. "Sure. I want pistachio though."

I grimace at his words, my eyebrows flexing in horror. "Pistachio?" I repeat.

"Yeah..." he trails off. "What's wrong with that?"

My head shakes with a long laugh. "So many things."

We hop off our bikes and chain them to a metal railing before heading over to the ice-cream shop. Nate slings his arm around my shoulders and I enjoy the warmth and heaviness off him. "So what are you going to do about your sessions with Layla?" He asks as we begin to queue.

I nod slowly, sucking in a breath. "Layla said she could meet me at your pack house sometimes, if that's okay? Other times I said I'd go back and it'll give me an excuse to see Reign and Fran. Catch up with them."

"As long as that works for you," he flicks his eyes between mine.

"Yeah," my lips curl. "It does."

Nate presses his lips to my temple and I heat up instantly. "How was moving out the other day?"

"Hard," I admit. "I hugged Everett but more for my conscience than his. Reign was upset but we all know it's for the best. Even Layla said so. I've got to think of myself, focus on myself. It's the best thing I can do right now."

"Of course," he murmurs into my ear. "I want what's best for you too. I'm just glad I get you all to myself now. I've been waiting far too long to wake up to you every morning. And now I have you, I'm never letting you go."

I squeeze myself into his side, my heart pounding inside my chest. I might have found a home with my family but finding a home with Nate is different because he is my home. I want to be wherever he is.

Nothing will ever compare.

Read the full completed book and bonus chapters over on Ream and Patreon!

www.reamstories.com/savannaroseauthor
www.patreon.com/dreammcatcher
Link is also in bio!

Author's Note

Milo moving out? YES

Nate killing Henry? YES

Everett saying he's half the man Milo is? YES

EEEKKKK. What did you guys think of this chapter?👉🏼👉🏼👉🏼

There are still 4 chapters & 2 epilogues to go!🥰

Don't forget to vote and comment, it makes my day!✨

Love Savanna x

Insta: savannaroseauthor
Ream: savannaroseauthor
Patreon: dreammcatcher
Tik Tok: SavannaWritess