・.・✫Seven ✓

୨⎯ Chapter 7⎯୧
"Gone, But Not Forgotten"

୨⎯ Chapter 7⎯୧"Gone, But Not Forgotten"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

THE FOOTSTEPS of the orc army echoed behind us as we raced through the chamber. Orcs emerged from every corner, crawling down pillars like grotesque spiders and springing from the floor, surrounding us in a circle.

Panic gripped me and I felt my heart beat out of my chest. We were outnumbered, outmatched, and out of options. Just as fear was about to overwhelm me, a light pierced the darkness, accompanied by a deep, rumbling growl that sent shivers down my spine. The orcs, seized by a fear greater than their bloodlust, scattered in all directions like leaves in a sudden gust of wind.

Boromir's voice, trembling with a mixture of awe and dread, broke the eerie silence. "What is this new devilry?"

Gandalf's face was grave, the lines etched deeper by the ominous glow. "A Balrog," he declared, his voice heavy with the weight of ancient knowledge. "A demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you. Run!"

We didn't need to be told twice. As one, we fled down a narrow passageway, descending flights of stairs that seemed to go on forever. My lungs burned with each breath, fear pushing me forward.

We approached a gap in the stairs, each of us halting for a moment to assess the leap. Legolas cleared the distance effortlessly, followed by Gandalf. It was then my turn to make my own jump.

With a deep breath, I launched myself forward. For a terrifying moment, I thought I wouldn't make it. But then Legolas's strong hand wrapped around my wrist, pulling me to safety with speed.

The stairs began to crumble beneath our feet. Aragorn and Frodo were left stranded, the gap widening between us.

"Lean forward!" Aragorn shouted, his voice barely audible over the crashing stone.

They shifted their weight, tipping the stairs forward until they slammed onto the steps where we waited. With a final leap, they made it to safety, and we all turned to continue our dash down the crumbling stairway.

"Over the bridge! Fly!" Gandalf's command rang out, guiding us across the path.

The Balrog loomed before us, a towering monstrosity wreathed in flames and shadow. Gandalf suddenly stopped and turned to it the ancient evil, his staff ablaze with fierce light.

"You cannot pass!" Gandalf declared, his voice ringing out. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn! Go back to the Shadow! You shall not pass!"

My heart clenched as Gandalf and the Balrog began to clash, a battle between fire and light. But as the bridge crumbled, Gandalf fell with a despairing cry of "Fly, you fools!" I felt my world shatter.

"Noooooo!" Frodo's anguished cry pierced the air. I let out a muffled sob, shock and grief overwhelming me. I felt Legolas's arm around me, offering comfort as tears streamed down my face.

Aragorn's voice, cut through our grief. "Legolas, get them up."

I looked at him in disbelief as Boromir pleaded, "Give them a moment, for pity's sake!"

But Aragorn pressed. "By nightfall, these hills will be swarming with orcs! We must reach the Woods of Lothlórien. Come, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, get them up."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

The Woods of Lothlórien surrounded us as we met its air. "Stay close, young hobbits," Gimli cautioned. "They say a great sorceress lives in these woods, an elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell..."

He puffed out his chest as he spoke his next words, "well, here is one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!"

As we walked through the depths of Lothlórien, the weight of losing Gandalf pressed down on my soul. Legolas must have noticed and stepped closer. With a gentle touch, he placed a hand on my shoulder.

"We may have lost Gandalf," he said softly, his voice carrying a soothing warmth, "but I promise you, princess, that we still have each other. I will not leave you."

I felt a flutter in my chest, a warmth that had nothing to do with the elven cloaks we wore. It was then that I realized I might be starting to fall for the elven prince.

But our moment was cut short, arrows suddenly materialised from the shadows, pointed directly at us. His hand left my shoulder to grab his bow.

"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark," A voice cut through the tension, a hint of amusement in his tone.

Gimli's response was a low growl of irritation, his pride wounded by the elf's jest.

Aragorn stepped forward, his voice steady and resolute. "Haldir of Lorien, we come here for help. We need your protection."

Gimli, ever cautious, voiced his concerns. "Aragorn, these woods are perilous! We should go back."

But Haldir's response was firm and unwavering. "You have entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood. You cannot go back. Come, she is waiting."

Hesitantly we followed Haldir deeper into the heart of the ancient woods.

"Looks like we've stumbled into the wrong woods," I muttered under my breath, earning a small smile from Legolas that made my heart skip a beat.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃