Prologue

It was sunny. Siren could tell it was despite being far underwater in the Deep Palace. It felt like the day should be warm with clear skies, and Siren was determined it was.

Ahead of her, two young dragonets played in jets of warm bubbles streaming up from the ocean floor. She watched as the blur of pale green and blue scales flitter through the garden happily, chasing and swirling and dashing as the young prince and princess race.

Siren looked back up, towards the surface, where she was positive the sun and calm winds would be. She imagined it, swimming up there right now to welcome the day. She imagined bursting out of the water, imagined stray droplets drying from her wings as she flies. She imagined soaring and tumbling, flipping and laughing in the open sky above the sea.

A hard thump on her left startled her out of her daydreaming. She looked down to see the pale blue scales of the youngest SeaWing princess shaking out the damage.

Hydra, Siren flashed in Aquatic, bending slightly to give her sister a calm once over. Are you alright?

Yes, answered three flashes on the right of the dragonets snout. I'm sorry, followed the phosphorus scales under her wings.

Before Siren could answer, pale green scales bumped his sister and the words "What's wrong? Snapper got your tail?" flashed teasingly before swimming off again, Hydra in pursuit.

The older dragonet shook her head fondly, watching as the two SeaWing royals went back to their games.

After a while of following the darting shapes of her siblings trying and failing to lose each other in the bubble jets, Siren turned her head to look back up to the surface. Her daydreams returned.

She was still gliding along the skies, but this time when she looked down she saw her brother and sister flapping madly along the waves, teasing and knocking each other playfully. When she looked up again she was met with the flying form of her aunt, Queen Dolphin, and her husband Flipper. Beside them flew her older cousins and to her left their younger brother Emerald. On her other side flew her cousin Goldfish, a dragonet only one year younger than herself that she rarely ever gets to see due to them living in the desert. Goldfish's mother, Spray and SandWing father, Adder beyond her. And finally her own parents, Seaweed and Isle flying right above her.

It was perfect. Her whole family. Together.

She'd had this dream before, many times before. It wasn't uncommon for her family to go flying together, but never all of them at once. With her aunt being queen of the SeaWings, her and Siren's father were constantly busy running the kingdom. And her other aunt lived a two and a half days flight from the Bay of a Thousand Scales with Goldfish, the only one of Siren's cousins who was actually her age.

Her mother Isle and uncle-in-law Flipper usually cared for the royal dragonets, until Siren's 5th birthday where she started being the younger princes and princesses main babysitter. Not that she's complaining but, she's always loved dragonets, especially the ones in her family.

It doesn't stop her from daydreaming though, of at least one big day out with her entire family.

The small tap of a wing brushing against her own however, does.

Mum wants to see you, flashed royal glow scales in a sky blue light. Siren turned her head to see Lazuli watching her for a response. Past him she could see his twin sister Lapis hovering near his tail, watching her youngest cousins dip and dash through jets of bubbles.

What for?

She didn't say, just that she wants to see you.

Siren looked back at the Bubble Jet Garden, at her brother and sister that she was meant to be watching.