005. Round One, Fight

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE. ✷  round one, fight.

NIAMH BERRAGAIN HAS RARELY BEEN SEEN OUTSIDE OF BERRAGAIN HOUSE. THE FEW PEOPLE THAT HAVE SEEN HER HAVE NOTED CUTS AND BRUISES ON HER SKIN, LEADING THEM TO BELIEVE SHE LOCKS HERSELF AWAY TO TRAIN.

— THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO NAVARRIAN NOBLES,
BY COLONEL LEWIS MARKHAM

                                       After a more than concerning Battle Brief with Professor Devera, and classes that were nothing in comparison to it, Niamh has finally reached the sparring gym. As she ties up her hair into a braid, she tries to forget what it is she learned today; the wards have faltered in the Esben mountains allowing full access to Elsum for an attack. Gryphons closed in on a village there, destroying it. Her teeth chew the inside of her mouth as she tries her hardest to not worry about her father, forcing herself to believe that he's perfectly okay, and not at risk.

But what if the wards falter again? She knows this isn't the first time, thanks to another piece of information Devera was so gracious as to share. What if her father isn't prepared? She'd hate to graduate only to see her home in ruin, and her father's bones in the rubble. According to Devera, one rider has already died on the mountain range.

Violet and Xaden had all the questions, and apparently, answers the whole class. The most Niamh could muster was 'Were there any other villages involved?' the answer was no. Only this single one is at the border. They looted it and left everything in horrible condition. Xaden very confidently stated they were looking for something. Devera not so confidently stated that they are unsure of what that something is.

Niamh swallows back the urge to run right out of this school and go home. Instead, she wraps her braid around itself into a bun, securing it with an emergency pin she previously wore around her leather belt. Niamh then separates herself from the wall she leans on and joins Teagan at the edge of one of the sparring mats.

"What did I miss?" She asks quietly, surveying the two cadets on the mat. She isn't familiar with either of them, but given the look of them, she'd like to be. Both tall and muscular and refusing to wear a shirt. Most of the men do it for safety reasons. She won't be the one to complain.

Teagan sighs, "Nothing much. Just these two dancing around each other like ballerinas." They both notice one of the men snap a glare in their direction. Niamh stifles a laugh as he quickly goes for a strike, missing and getting punched in the nose by the other man. He gets the up on him, landing three more punches and ignoring the ones the other man happened to land. Eventually, he pins him. "This isn't fair!" The man with his face on the mat says, "Those two brutes distracted me!"