000. The House Of Berragain

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE. ✷ the house of berragain.

                                The honorable, and most terrifying House of Berragain is one of the oldest bloodlines in Navvare, dating back to nearly two centuries before unification. The oldest known member is King Emer Berragain, the once ruthless ruler of the Elsum Province. During unification, Cian Berragain handed over the title of King and was reduced to Duke status—which the family still holds today.

As of 608 AU, Oscar Berragain claimed the title of the head of the house of Berragain and became the new Duke of Elsum. He wed his wife, Vega Berragain a month later, giving birth to their first son, Cyprus Berragain a year later in 609 AU. The pair had two more children following the heir: Rian Berragain (611 AU) and Niamh Berragain (613 AU). At the time of publishing, Niamh remains to be the only daughter of the Duke.

In nearly eight centuries of their known existence, very few Berragains have chosen to not be riders. Though it is not strictly enforced, most believe it to be their duty to their name. Due to their long history of strong signets, the family has earned themselves an intimidating reputation. Notable riders consist of: Sara Berragain, the daughter of King Emer, who was the first distance wielder on record; Kai Berragain, and his ability to change shape to match anyone's appearance; and Oscar Berragain himself, who possesses the ability to wield fire. Though not a particularly rare signet, his control over his abilities makes him all the more revered.

During the Tyrrish Rebellion, Oscar Berragain fought on the side of Navarre and is believed to be directly responsible for the death of Ellis Durran, brother-in-law of Fen Riorson.

Notable appearances are their dark brown hair, typically curled, pale skin, and light eyes. Although, in recent years, the Berragain children have become recognizable by their white hair, a trait inherited by Vera Berragain.

— THE HISTORY OF ELSUM,
BY COLONEL LEWIS MARKHAM

— THE HISTORY OF ELSUM, BY COLONEL LEWIS MARKHAM