14 | Unpleasant conversation

Start from the beginning

I remember climbing up the stairs feeling confused and a weird feeling settled down on my stomach. I followed the source of the voices who ended up leading to my parent's master bedroom. I placed my hand on the door knob and opened the door to the most unimaginable discovery that I had to discover. On the bed where my parents slept at night, I saw the person who I used to see as my father having an affair with a woman from his work. My stomach dropped.

We locked eyes for a short moment. I looked away without hesitation whatsoever I closed the door. I walked away from that room making my way towards mine. Behind me on the other side I heard noise and him cursing then the door was opened and I heard his footsteps heading my way. Long story short, he wanted to keep what I saw a secret from both my mother and my sister but especially my mother. My response was I wasn't going to keep his unloyalty to mom and his affair a secret. If he didn't tell her, I wouldn't be scared to tell her.

Three days passed by, he didn't tell mom about his affair, in fact he pretended like nothing had happened. The next day when I arrived from school thankfully, my mom was home alone and my sister was hanging out with her best friends. I told her that I need to tell her something. I remember us sitting down on the living room's couch when I told her about what I saw the other day. I saw my mother heartbreaking that day, to say that she was hurt would be a huge understatement. My mother believed me and confessed to me that she had a feeling.

My mother confronted him when my father returned from work she told him to pack up his things and leave the house. Seven months later, my mother had divorce him after a long battle simply because the person who I shared DNA with was stubborn. Since then my father has acted cold and angry towards me. To this day the person who I should call my father, blames me for the cause of their divorce. 

I know that I am not the only one to blame. He brought it upon himself or I cannot control his actions or his behavior. However I can distance myself from him and I have. I don't even remember the last time I saw him. I do everything in my power to avoid him and these past years I had success. For Colette is a different story, since she is a minor she needs to see him under the supervision like it was stated on the custody arrangement when she turns eighteen she can make the decision of herself if she wants to have a relationship with him or not the choice is entirely up to her. I already know what her decision is going to be.

We might share DNA and a last name. I would never see him as a father again. I don't want to be associated with someone who doesn't respect his wife. I am glad that I look like my mother and not an ounce like him.

∞∙∞∙∞∙∞

During those ten minutes my sister and I had successfully emptied all of my bags and placed all of my clothes on my dresser and closet in my former bedroom. After I moved out from my childhood house weeks before the beginning of my first year at Colorado State University. Instead of putting all of my things away and giving my bedroom another use, my mother decided against it because my mother wanted me to have my room to sleep in whenever I came to visit.

"Samantha and Colette, the dinner is ready! Please come down, we don't want the food to get cold." I heard mom's voice traveling up the stairs making its way to my bedroom.

"Okay mom, we are coming!" I replied to my mother, closing the door of my closet. My sister stood up from my bed, picking up her phone from the mattress and placing it in her back pocket.

"Lottie, how are things going with Jaime?" I asked my sister, we walked out from my bedroom and started making our way downstairs.

Jaime is my sister's best friend from childhood, they have become good and close friends these past few years. I have met Jaime multiple times before and always thought that he is a wonderful kid. Plus he is an amazing best friend to my little sister and that is a good look in my book.