~𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛~

Start from the beginning

My mouth dropped open in surprise, and my icecream started to drip onto the pathway during the silence between us. I was completely stunned, and my mouth opened and closed, my voice trying to form words, but nothing would come out. 

𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘴𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴? 

I tried to stutter out a response, but I wasn't sure what to say, so I just stared back at him, confused and taken aback by his sudden and heavy sincerity and the request that didn't make sense. 

Seeing my obvious hesitation, he reluctantly let go of my hand, tearing his eyes away from mine as they darkened, losing their stars in an instant.

 "You... 𝘤𝘢𝘯'𝘵, can you?"

I still couldn't find any words as we stood in the silence of the night under the Ferris Wheel, rotating slowly and lazily beside us, casting moving beams of light onto us and the asphalt path around us like a disco.

Felix forced a smile, but it didn't reach his eyes. "It's fine," He whispered, his voice barely audible as it cracked as loud as a tree snapping in the tension filled silence.

"No, it's not, I..." I quickly tossed my almost empty cone into a nearby trash can to free my hands, as if that would help me to sort my thoughts. It actually made things worse, because now I had no idea what to do with my hands. "That's not—" I tried to comfort him, still unsure of what exactly was going on, but Felix only smiled, his eyes full of hurt. 

What happened? What did I do wrong?? 

"Come on," He climbed into the carriage of the Ferris Wheel, dropping the subject and reaching a hand out to me, but I knew it wasn't really dropped, he had just lowered it out of the immediate conversation. I grasped his hand and stepped in, sitting beside him. 

Keeping his eyes from connecting with mine, Felix looked over his side of the carriage and down at the city of Seoul, slowly coming into view as the Ferris Wheel rose over it. 

I turned in my seat to face him, wanting desperately to clear up anything that happened between us. "Felix, did I do something wrong?"

He turned to glance at me, shaking his head and plastering on another fake smile. "No. It was me." Running a hand through his hair in frustration, he leaned back and studied the star filled sky, the tiny points of light twinkling like jewels against a silk backdrop. 

"It's always me."

The lights of Seoul glittered under us and the city spread out around us as we rose higher and higher, the edges of the magically illuminated urban landscape far out of sight, the glowing windows and bright headlights of weaving cars growing smaller and meeting the stars somewhere at the horizon. 

Grabbing Felix's hand with a sudden determination, I looked him in the eye as shining lights pierced the darkness around us, the city under us and the sky above us as witnesses to my words. He looked down at my hand wrapped around his before meeting my eyes with surprise. 

"I promise," I whispered with all my heart, so only he and the stars could hear me, holding his gaze and allowing the immeasurable sincerity and even love toward him that I had bottled up pour out of me. "I'll stay by your side. I won't leave you."

His deep brown eyes filled with comfort, his shoulders relaxed, and he sighed softly as he watched me. Smiling again, 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 smiling, he interlaced his fingers with mine and squeezed my hand.