Bansi kept on trying to contact him, but even after repeated attempts for two long weeks, she could connect to him.
With a heavy heart, she assumed that he had changed his number and decided to never come back.
She gave up calling him after 15 days.

Kunal had his ways of contacting Arjun. He always made sure to check on the GPS tracking that the tourism venture provided to keep the help ready for any unexpected emergencies.
Once a day he would visit the hotel where Arjun worked and would see where the group was and made sure that everything was fine.

Arjun came back after three long exhausting weeks.
He had rested for two days, sleeping day in and out, without even getting up to eat or drink.
His next trek was due next day. And he needed that time to revive his body.

Kunal hated those days of winter when Arjun would take up this job of leading the treks for some extra income.

There was a small knock on the door of the room, where Arjun was sleeping like a log in one of the hotel rooms. He did not even realize when the door was opened by a master key and was pushed lightly.

A young woman, in her early twenties walked in, followed by a staff, carrying a tray of food. She placed the tray on the coffee table in the room and walked out, leaving the young woman alone with sleeping Arjun. She looked at him and the room that was drowned in darkness.
She walked closer to him and looked closely at his tired face. She then proceeded to open the curtains to let the evening lights enter the room.

"Arjun?" She called out gently, trying to wake him up.

There was no reply.
She tapped his shoulder and called him out again.

"Go away, Kunal. Let me sleep." He grumbled, turning to other side.

"Mr. Mathur?" She called out softly again.

He snapped his eyes open and regretted it as sharp pain shot through his brain. He closed his eyes groaning.

"Are you alright?" She asked concerned.

Arjun slowly opened his eyes and blinked at her. He slowly sat up and moved back to lean against the headboard.

"When did you come?" He asked.

She held her gaze for a moment and he looked away. He pushed the comforter away and stepped down the bed and walked away to the bathroom without looking at her. She sighed looking at his retreating figure.

He came back sometime later, wiping himself with a crisp towel.
"Is there a meeting I am supposed to be at, Miss Mehta?"

She pursed her lips and walked closer.
"Is it going to be this formal now?"

Arjun gulped and found himself parched.

"You are still tired." She whispered and pushed back the unruly hair on his forehead.

He just hummed, walking to the bed.
"I will be fine by the morning."

She looked at him as he settled on the bed and sighed with closed eyes, throwing his head back.

"Kunal told me everything." She said, walking to the coffee table to pick up the food tray.

He looked at her.
"I am sure, he did."

She sat beside him, with the still cover tray.
"How are you holding up?"

He chuckled mirthlessly.
"What do I say, Mitra? That I am basking in the warmth of my new wedding?"

Mitra looked away momentarily.
"here. Eat something. You look dead on your feet."

Arjun nodded and accepted the plate that was under a cloche. The sight of a grilled sandwich along with a bowl of seasoned bite size pieces of boiled eggs and a large serving of freshly cut fruits as always, did not stir his emotions. He picked up the fork and dug in without having mercy on the boiled eggs.

"And I have already arranged another leader for tomorrow's trek. So, you can take leave for a few days." She added after a moment.

He stopped himself from picking up the piece of pineapple and looked at her bewildered.
"Why would you do that?"

She shrugged her shoulders.
"Because I can."

He deadpanned.

She sighed.
"You are already done it for three weeks, Arjun. I think, that's enough. You need to rest. And besides,.... "

He waited for her to continue but she just stared at him.

"Besides?" He asked impatiently.

"I think, you should go back and sort the matter out."

He did not reply.

"Arjun, please think. It's not just about you. Someone is waiting out there for you. And...  You will not understand, how it feels to be left hanging."
She looked away with misty eyes.

He was taken aback. He kept the plate away and looked down.

"I am sorry, Mitra." The whisper was soft, almost inaudible.

She smiled and stood up to leave, he followed and stood up too.
"Get going. Your vacation starts from tomorrow."

"Yes, Ma'am." He chuckled.

"By the way, when will you stop interfering with my life?" He asked referring to his job as trek leader which now stood cancelled.

She smiled wider.
"When you will realize that you are not responsible for only yourself."

His smile dropped.

"Mitra... I.... "
His words were lost in his throat when she placed a fingers on his lips.

"I know. And I understand. I trust you to make everything right. Think through and don't act on instinct. You can count on me and Kunal for everything. No more mistakes, Arjun." She said with stern eyes, and that compelled him to nod.

"Don't worry about the trek. I have got everything moving." She said and he nodded again like an obedient child.

Mitra left with a smile and he sighed. He did not know why he was being dominated by a dainty woman. She was an absolute substitute for Kunal. Not to mention, she being his Boss's daughter, made him tow the line.

-------------------------------

Another chapter up.

30 comments expected.

Vote and comment
Love