nine - running up that hill

Monday, March 24, 1986

"All right, this better be fast, Mayfield," Steve says as he parks in front of her trailer.

"Twenty seconds," Max exits the car and hurries inside.

In the back, Dustin shuffles to get in between yours and Steve's seats to get a better view of the trailer, holding the walkie in his hands. Steve looks down at it quizzically.

"That thing's got batteries in it, right?"

You exchange a knowing gaze with Dustin, remembering your struggle from last year at the mall and how he now always made sure to keep enough batteries to recharge. He turns to Steve with a deadpan expression. "I'm not even answering that question." After a few seconds of silence, though, he does. "Yeah! Yes, it has batteries."

"Yeah, I got it," Steve nods as you and Lucas both sigh. The friendly banter Dustin and Steve shared was never-ending. However, this time, they stayed silent, watching the door Max had disappeared behind rather intensely. You were the same, awaiting any movement of the curtains through the windows to indicate she was still there. Lizzie was leaning against your legs, despite Steve having argued that you should put the axe back in the trunk for safety reasons while driving. You had said no, arguing that if something tried to hurt Max, you wouldn't lose time trying to open his shitty ass car. You were ready to spring out of your seat and break down that trailer door if needed. That's why you miss the few glances Steve gives you before clearing his throat and politely asking Dustin and Lucas to exit the car.

"What?" Lucas exclaims as Dustin looks absolutely revolted.

"Just get out of the car for two minutes, man. I mean, it's mine, so if I tell you to get off you get off, right?"

"Yeah, it's just extremely rude," Dustin points out. "But, sure. Kick us out."

"Jesus, I just wanna talk to my sister in peace for two goddamn seconds, Henderson, how hard is it for you to get that?"

The car is awkwardly quiet before Dustin starts talking again. "And you chose now?"

"Dustin," Lucas nudges him strongly before grabbing his shoulder. "Let's just get out, okay?"

"Yeah, I mean, of course-"

You stay silent as Lucas drags Dustin out of the car and slams the door behind them, giving you and Steve a thumbs up to indicate you could go ahead. You just stare ahead at the trailer awkwardly as Steve fumbles with something in his pocket. At first, you think he has something to give you, but he ends up placing both hands on the wheel and drumming his fingers nervously.

"Dustin decided to be extra annoying today," he scoffs.

"I love when he does that," you say truthfully.

"You've always been weird," he snorts. He hesitates before continuing. "Are you okay?"

"I'm... hungry. But we packed some snacks, so I'll ask Dust-"

"No, no, (Y/n), you know what I mean. Are you really okay?"

You sigh, setting your eyes back on the trailer. "Well, we're all in danger again and Max is the main target. So I hardly see how anyone could be okay."

"But you act like you are," he argues, leaning back in his seat. "It's like you're back to... back..."

Back to normal. You had been so quiet for the last few months, and living in the same house, there was no way Steve hadn't noticed. Even Robin, who had known you for about three days before the Fourth of July, knew there was a big shift. Ever since you found out about Vecna, you started talking again. You realized how odd that was.