Chapter 27 : Morning

Start from the beginning

“Me too.” He nodded, finally letting a tiny smile strike his face which multiplied and mirrored on her lips and he felt a weird blooming in his chest at the sight.

And suddenly it felt even better to be back.

                              ***
Emerging from the lake, completely soaked, my hair falling in front of my face, I could feel the anger burning in my eyes. On the shore, he stood, watching me with a look of amazement. He reached into a bag hanging beside his horse and pulled out a woolen shawl.

The water was icy, causing me to shiver uncontrollably, even my teeth chattered from the cold. Wrapping myself in the warmth of the my hands, I started walking towards the narrow path leading back to the ashram. Despite his attempt to stop me, I ignored his plea and kept walking. As he began to follow me...

"Nihira---" he said softly.

"Don't-- Ashwattama. Please just let me be." I gestured with my hand, signaling him to halt at a secure distance from me. However, he ignored my request, coming towards me and gently placing the shawl over my cold body. My veins appeared bluish, and my complexion resembled that of a pale winter evening. As the cozy woolen fabric made contact with my skin, a comforting warmth spread throughout my entire body. His fingers brushed against my bare skin, evoking a tingling sensation in my heart, which I concealed behind a facade of anger.

"Stop pretending, that you care." I firmly pushed his hand away from my shoulders, asserting my boundaries. I remained still, gazing intensely into his eyes, a mixture of anguish and desire evident within him.

"I should have taken Devpriya didi's advice, you're just same. You haven't changed a bit,  you're just-- rude and arrogent." As I raised my voice towards him, tears welled up in my eyes, and my drenched hair scattered water droplets, dampening the ground beneath me while I remained in a state of shock and bewilderment.

"Ashwattama, some day or the other youve to face the reality. Accept the truth." I said weeping, as i gently wiped the tears strolling down my orbs.

"What truth, nihira." He said, unable to held any eye contact from me, he looked down at the ground.

"You know what im talking about." I spoke.

"No i don't---" I heard his voice, filled with doubt, and a wave of letdown washed over me. A gust of wind brushed against my face as we stood bathed in the morning sunlight. The birds' chirping grew louder, and delicate blue butterflies danced around Ashwattama. When the sun's rays touched his diamond, it shimmered brilliantly. He appeared ethereal, yet there was an unsettling feeling standing next to him at that moment.

"Dont pretended, for once."  I cried out loudly. A tear fell onto the damp ground, causing him to look at me. His eyes appeared extremely vulnerable as I gazed into his dark brown gaze.

"What is it, bothering you nihira." He said.

"W, When will you accept---?" I questioned, hesisting.

"Accept what---?" He dared to say out out.

"Oh, Ashwattama. W-what are we---?"  Tears streamed down my face as I inquired, my voice quivering and my breathing labored. The question I posed was of utmost importance to me. Ever since I met him, I had imagined a future together, with him being a constant presence in my thoughts, dreams, and prayers. I was aware of the depth of our connection, and I loved him with all my heart.

"This isn't the time, to answer such questions nihira. We have a big day tomorrow." He said turning his gaze away, and changing the topic suddenly.

"Dont change the topic, ashwa." I replied.